Default Can a Creditor Seize Your Car for an Out-of-State Judgment

I have a couple of questions.

I have a judgment against me with an attorney in Florida for credit card debt from AMEX. They say amex is the client but there was a collection company earlier involved. I now have money to pay but want to setter for $8k, they want $11k. Have not heard back from them in 3 months. They tell me they have a county sherriffs office order to seize my car which is worth $15k and I have the title.

1. The vehicle is registered in FL. I live and work in NJ. Can they still seize my vehicle registered in florida while I am in NJ?
    2. Can I sign over my title and register the car with my significant other (not married)?

I would of settled this earlier but I had no $ to do so. Now I have money. Its also frustrating because I settled $72k judgement with 4 payments over 4 months of $2k ($8k). Of course I was nearly filing bankruptcy at that point so that was why they took my "take it or leave it" approach!

I have other debts as well and probably one other judgement of $3k, I should have 2 other credit card debts totalling $20k to settle as well. My goal is to have it all paid off before the end of the year.

Default Re: Judgement in Florida, Florida Car Reg, Can They Seize My Car in New Jersey

1. The vehicle is registered in FL. I live and work in NJ.
    so you have an illegally registered vehicle?

Can they still seize my vehicle registered in florida while I am in NJ?
    yes. Will they? No idea.

2. Can I sign over my title and register the car with my significant other (not married)?
    You could but it wouldn't be a good idea. They could likely have the transfer reversed anyway of they wanted to contest it.

They say amex is the client but there was a collection company earlier involved.
    Unless the CA purchased the debt, it remains owned by AMEX and the CA was simply hired to attempt to collect the debt for AMEX.

I now have money to pay but want to setter for $8k, they want $11k.
    If they have a judgment, they can demand the full amount. The courts already said that is what you owe them. They don't have to negotiate a reduced amount if they don't wish to.

Default Re: Judgement in Florida, Florida Car Reg, Can They Seize My Car in New Jersey

1. I assure you the vehicle is registered legally and is fully insured. I see it that my home is in florida where my family is and I am on temporary assignment.
    2. Since I have the title can they put any kind of lien on the vehicle? Surely they can not because I have the title I can take payment and sell the vehicle!
    3. Obviously they do not have to agree to a reduced amount, in fact they already have but not a number I am comfortable with. I am willing to negotiate a settlement. It's been a few years already that they have had the judgement. Don't you think just maybe they would like to get a payday? Getting paid in Florida is surely a chore as it is one of the worst states hit by the real estate bust! I was part of it I should know!

jerseybound;637656]1. I assure you the vehicle is registered legally and is fully insured. I see it that my home is in florida where my family is and I am on temporary assignment.
    temp assignment? It doesn't take long to establish legal residency in a state. For New Jersey, you have to obtain a NJ license within 60 days.

2. Since I have the title can they put any kind of lien on the vehicle? Surely they can not because I have the title I can take payment and sell the vehicle!
    sure they could. They could register a lien with the state but regardless, transferring assets to attempt to evade paying a judgment is not looked at well by a court. The creditor can often have the transfer rescinded.

3. Obviously they do not have to agree to a reduced amount, in fact they already have but not a number I am comfortable with. I am willing to negotiate a settlement. It's been a few years already that they have had the judgement. Don't you think just maybe they would like to get a payday? Getting paid in Florida is surely a chore as it is one of the worst states hit by the real estate bust! I was part of it I should know!
    apparently they believe it is worth fighting for the total amount. It is their right.

1. Sponsored Links