Default Expenses and Liability

My question involves a power of attorney in the state of: North Carolina

(a) I have incurred a considerable amount of travel expenses in order to set my father's affairs in order. Is this something that I can be reimbursed for?
    (b) What kinds of things could I end up being liable for? For instance, my father has more debt that he has money to pay it off. I have prioritized his debts, but he will not be able to pay everything off. Is this something that I could end up getting in trouble for? Will creditors expect me to pay?

Thank you!

Default Re: Expenses and Liability

The context being what? Your father, who is mentally competent, gave you power of attorney to do these things then told you he's not going to pay you for your time? He became mentally incompetent and you've spent time performing tasks under the grant of power of attorney, but it makes no provision for you to be compensated for your time? Something else?

Thanks for your response- he wants to reimburse me, but he also has more debts than he can afford to pay off. So in regards to the money he has left, I'm wondering whether or not he would even be allowed to or if that would end up causing legal issues for one or both of us. Thanks.

If he cannot pay the debts, why should you be incurring expenses putting them in order? You can't not pay them, yet put them in order. Are you operating on the chaos theory? Let the creditors come after him and get what they can. no action should be needed.

"Is this something that I can be reimbursed for?"

That's a question for your dad.

Having a power of attorney that your father gave you to so that you could handle X-Y-Z doesn't confer with it any personal liability to pay his debts.

1. Sponsored Links