Default Failure to Disclose

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Pennsylvania

I am a 4th year medical student and I am getting ready to apply to residency programs. In the application we are asked to disclose any Felonies or Misdemeanors. The only thing I am worried about is a speeding ticket in Texas from about 10 years ago. At the time I had no idea it was considered a Misdemeanor since I didn't have to go to court. All I had to do is sign the ticket and mail in the fine. Haven't thought about it since. I don't have any problem disclosing this to residency applications, I doubt a program will deny me b/c of one speeding ticket 10 years ago that just happens to be classified as a Misdemenor.

However the problem is that I am just learning about this now. One of my classmates told me all traffic violations in Texas are considered misdemenors. I feel like isn't totally clear on the TX website they do seem to classify speeding as "Traffic Misdemanor" Had I known at the time, I would have submitted it to my med school app, however I did not disclose this when I applied to medical school 4 years ago. So as I see I have two problems. One is probably not as bad, which is when I apply for medical license a few years from now, if they somehow find out that I disclosed it on my Residency App but not my Med School App, I could be screwed. That being said I have read the minutes of the State Medical Board recently where they did approve the license of someone who didnt disclose a DUI on his medical license application.

A quick fix to the above problem, but something rather risky now is to disclose it to my medical school. If I go to my Dean and explain the situation that I am just discovering this now, then hopefully the school will understand and just make a note of it. However there is a small chance I could be accussed of lying on my med school app and get expelled. Honestly I am looking for a way out of medicine as it is, but not with $250K worth of debt with no marketable skills.

I doubt my school will do this, but it is a small risk. The only other thing I can say is that in good faith I have submitted several background checks on myself and they have always turned up nothing. Also my medical school ran a background check on me right before I started and obviously it was fine.

Default Re: Failure to Disclose

I have a professional license and hold a professional certification. I've also gone through two very ridged FBI background checks in the last five years. I was asked on all checks to list misdemeanors and listed a speeding ticket from 7 years ago. It has never showed. I would not omit it unless it gives you a "beyond" date. It's just a speeding ticket. My ticket dropped off my driving record after 3 years.

Quote Quoting Security Consultant
    View Post
    I have a professional license and hold a professional certification. I've also gone through two very ridged FBI background checks in the last five years. I was asked on all checks to list misdemeanors and listed a speeding ticket from 7 years ago. It has never showed. I would not omit it unless it gives you a "beyond" date. It's just a speeding ticket. My ticket dropped off my driving record after 3 years.
    Unless the ticket was for going 150 MPH ... the OP does not give this info ... hard to tell. Not all tickets are misdemeanors .. a guy going to medical school cannot find that out? hmm

A ten year old speeding ticket is not going to interfere with your ability to become a physician. I promise. Quit worrying - employers don't care one whit about traffic citations (excluding those who drive for a living.) A DUI is a whole different issue than a speeding ticket.

I imagine the Dean would have a good chuckle if you made an appointment to tell him about your speeding ticket when you were a teenager.

You truly are worrying over absolutely nothing.

1. Sponsored Links