My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Kansas and Missouri.
My son purchased a motorcycle in the State of Kansas from an individual on Craigslist. He paid cash and has a Bill of Sale signed by the Seller. The Seller showed him the title and said he had just bought the bike and had to get title transferred from the person our Seller bought it from and that he would mail the title. This was in March, 2012. Since then, my son has insured the bike (with liablity and comprehensive) and has been contacting our Seller asking where the title is. The Seller had many excuses, including he could not transfer the title because he had to show proof of insurance in Kansas and didn't want to put insurance on it just to transfer the title. We are residents of Missouri and have the bike insured in Missouri. Meanwhile, my son has put approximately $700 in new plastics and lights for the bike. Even worse, now the motorcycle was stolen from my son's driveway. We have made a police report and made a claim on the insurance policy; however, the insurance company is telling him that they will not pay the claim because we do not have the title. We do have a Bill of Sale and the Seller says he mailed the title to us, but of course we have not received it. What do you suggest we do to get paid on the insurance claim???