Unhappy Default on Student Loans, What Can Debt Collectors Do to Me and My Family

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: California

Hello, I own a $20,000 student loans. I don't have any job, therefore I have no income to pay them back.
    I also don't have house, no car. I feel that soon they will send a debt collector after me. What will happened then? I heard many horror stories like debt collector fake pose as police come to people house. And so many harrass stories, it kind of scary.
    So let say if the Department of Education where I get my loans send a debt collector after me, would they tell me and let me know first?
    How long can a debt collector bother me? Is there any websites that I can read more about this?
    Thank you

Default Re: Default on Student Loans, What Can Debt Collectors Do to Me and My Family

Ok. Calm down. Go to this site, and apply for all of your student loans to be consolidated. They also have a program for people with no to low income, so that your loans are deferred. That means you won't be paying anything until you are back on your feet, and you will not have any more collection calls. It can take a few weeks to get it all taken care of completely, but you can talk to someone on Monday who can walk you through the process.

1. Sponsored Links