Default Can a Franchisee Force a Franchisor to Give Him a Different Store and Territory

My question involves business law in the state of: Maryland

Recently, a person was shot near my franchise store(i.e Subway/Mcdonalds etc.) in the state of Maryland. My employees have quit, and I'm scared to work there. I want the franchisee owners(i.e Subway store Franchisee heads) to give me a different store, with the same volume of sales as this one, but in a safe neighborhood, or money compensation. My store is no longer safe for me. What can I do to recieve compensation, and how would I go about on doing this? Also, what are the chances of me recieving compensation? I dont want to sell my franchise because I will loose alot of money. Please help me.

Default Re: Franchisee Store Compensation/Selling

This is the real world. When you sign franchise and lease agreements, you are supposed to exercise caution and investigate prior to signing them.

Default Re: Can a Franchisee Force a Franchisor to Give Him a Different Store and Territory

When you purchase a franchise and territory, you get what you purchase. You either purchased a franchise and agreed to this location, or you specifically purchased this location as an existing store for sale. It was your job to exercise due diligence in buying an existing store or agreeing to a location.

It's not the franchisor's fault that a crime occurred in the neighborhood, and people can get shot even in good neighborhoods.

Are there facts you left out?

Default Re: Can a Franchisee Force a Franchisor to Give Him a Different Store and Territory

Unless your franchisor has breeched some provision of your franchise agreement, or there is some provision of the agreement that violates the laws of your state, you have no grounds to demand anything from them. Plus, the franchisor cannot guarantee the sales volume of any particular territory/location. Now, if there are company owned locations that would be more suitable for you, you might negotiate something with them. That would be the approach that might get you a positive result. Making demands will not.

No, this is basically what happened... I thought that I would be able to change stores since I dont feel safe here.. but I guess not. Thanks anyways

1. Sponsored Links