Default How Can I Fire a Fee-Based Federal Employee

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

We have an employee working at the Veteran's Affair as a fee-based employee in one of the health clinics. This employee which I will call "MM" is extremely lazy, unwilling but not incapable of performing his/her role/duties to a level that is expected of his/her title. MM has been written up several times and is notorious for his/her laziness at work. He/she surfs facebook on work computers, plays online gambling, leaves work on the DOT when it's 4:30pm and occasionally talks back to his/her supervisors. The best part is that she/he'll do all that even knowing a patient is about to drop dead in our clinic. Everyone wants to get rid of him/her but don't know how. What can I do to bring out the worst in him/her so i can gain evidence to prove his/her incompetence? Something that makes him/her an endangerment to patients and co-workers around him/her? Anything else I can use to initiate the official firing process? I will only be there for 1 year and I honestly don't care what happens to me since I am there as a resident and only to get my license after residency.

Thank you. I know how hard it is to fire a fed gov't employee and how the whole system is setup to encourage laziness. Think about where all our tax payer's money are going. I am sure you will be pist off too (unless you are one of them)

Default Re: How Can I Fire a Fee-Based Federal Employee

If you want to fire an employee who is protected by union and/or civil service protections, you build and document your case, work through the disciplinary process, and when the employee fails to make satisfactory progress or continues to break the rules, use that and your prior documented history of warnings and discipline to terminate the employee. The V.A. has H.R. staff who can advise supervisors about how to discipline their employees and document that process.

What can I do to bring out the worst in him/her so i can gain evidence to prove his/her incompetence? Since you are not this person's supervisor or in his/her chain of command, all you can do is make your concerns know to the bosses and HR and stress your extreme concerns about the horrific patient care this individual is providing. Any documentation you can provide with your first-hand observations/experiences regarding their poor performance would undoubtedly be helpful to HR.

If this person's supervisors aren't interested in getting this person out, who knows whether they will care if an entire group of folks come to them saying that this person is terrible for morale, etc. and something concrete needs to be done.

"Anything else I can use to initiate the official firing process?"

Not precisely clear what you mean here if you aren't this person's supervisor, and I've a feeling the supervisor knows what to do to pursue firing. You need to understand that most managers aren't suited for the job and just don't have the stomach for it. Perhaps this person knows where some bodies are buried or threatens X-Y-Z and the supervisor is a fraidy cat. All one can do is leapfrog over their head to their boss and say they're not doing THEIR job.

1. Sponsored Links