Default Board Telling Renter of Late Maintenance

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: Florida

I am a little behind on my maintenance payments to my condo association. I have renter in the unit but they dont always pay on time which makes it difficult for me to get my maintenance in on time. The Board just started adding late fees and they put a statement of my account taped to the unit door. Can they do that? The board has somewhat threatened about having a meeting to discuss if they will let me rent the unit anymore if i dont get completely caught up ASAP. If they dont let me rent it then I will have no choice but to stop paying the mortgage and the maintenance fee. Just want to know if they can leave personal financial info taped to a door, would like a little ammo if they try to tell me i cant rent.

thank you

Default Re: Board Telling Renter of Late Maintenance

I rent out condo units as well as single and multiple familiy houses. I also lived in condos. And I always keep two months rent in reserve to pay my fees on time.

Why did I do this??

I got into trouble with a town when my tenant failed to pay the water bill for me, so they send the bill to the town to be included in my RE taxes, with fines added. So I learned early on NOT to depend on tenants paying bills, or to pay on time so I can pay the bills.

Having said all of this, the HOA depends on YOU to pay the fees on a timely basis, and has no responsibility monitoring the financial relation between the owner and tenant of condo units. I lived in a condo where many resident owners and rental unit owners did not pay the fees on time, the condo complex was in danger of having it's utilities cut off, so the HOA had to ask each PAYING unit for special assessments to stop the cutoff, and it cost me several hundred dollars.

I have no idea how they got after the delinquent owners, and I don't really care, but if I'm told it involved posting notices on the doors of the units, which is a very common practice BTW, so be it. Why should I have to pony up all that money, and they get to sleep nice and easy, and complain about notices on their doors.??

1. Sponsored Links