Default Leaving a Vehicle After Being Evicted

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Texas. Being the landlord, what can I legaly do with a non running/non registered vehicle left behind. After the court date the tenant moved everything out but left her non running car. I did not need to have the constable "escourt her" out. She left no way to get in touch with her.

Default Re: Leaving a Vehicle After Being Evicted

You can make application for a permit to scrap it.

Sec. 683.051. APPLICATION FOR AUTHORIZATION TO DISPOSE OF CERTAIN MOTOR VEHICLES. A person may apply to the department for authority:

(1) to sell, give away, or dispose of a motor vehicle to a motor vehicle demolisher if:

(A) the person owns the motor vehicle and the certificate of title to the vehicle is lost, destroyed, or faulty; or

(B) the vehicle is an abandoned motor vehicle and is:

(i) in the possession of the person; or

(ii) located on property owned by the person; or
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.683.htm

Default Re: Leaving a Vehicle After Being Evicted

Per statute,
    Quote Quoting Texas Transportation Code, Sec. 683.002. Abandoned Motor Vehicle.
    (a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway; or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r).

(b) In this section, "controlled access highway" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302.
    Quote Quoting Texas Transportation Code,Sec. 683.051. Application for Authorization to Dispose of Certain Motor Vehicles.
    A person may apply to the department for authority:

(1) to sell, give away, or dispose of a motor vehicle to a motor vehicle demolisher if:

(A) the person owns the motor vehicle and the certificate of title to the vehicle is lost, destroyed, or faulty; or

(B) the vehicle is an abandoned motor vehicle and is:

(i) in the possession of the person; or

(ii) located on property owned by the person; or

(2) to dispose of a motor vehicle to a motor vehicle demolisher for demolition, wrecking, or dismantling if:

(A) the abandoned motor vehicle:

(i) is in the possession of the person;

(ii) is more than eight years old;

(iii) either has no motor or is otherwise totally inoperable or does not comply with all applicable air pollution emissions control related requirements included in:

(aa) the vehicle inspection requirements under Chapter 548, as evidenced by a current inspection certificate affixed to the vehicle windshield; or

(bb) the vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance requirements contained in the Public Safety Commission's motor vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance program under Subchapter F, Chapter 548, or the state's air quality state implementation plan; and

(iv) was authorized to be towed by a law enforcement agency; and

(B) the law enforcement agency approves the application.

1. Sponsored Links