Default Towed from a Business Parking Lot with No Posted Signs

In Hixson Tennessee yesterday morning my car broke down. *The police helped me get it pulled off the street into a near by business parking lot. *I had tried to call a tow truck but was having problems with my roadside assistance not being able to verify my info. *So I left my car. *It was there for about 4 hrs before I came back for it. *Only to find that the store owner had already had it towed. *There wasn't any signs posted that it was private property or that cars would be towed from the lot. *My phone # was even on the window of the car. *I asked the store owner why he didn't call 1st. *He said he did. *When I check my voicemail he had called about an hr before I got there to pick up my car and when I checked with the tow company they had just unloaded my car 15 min before I got there. *So he called me at the same time he called to have it towed. *He never gave me time to respond, but like I said before my car was only in his lot for around 4 hrs and there wasn't any signs saying that I couldn't park in his parking lot. Can you tell me what the Tennessee law says about this? *Can I get him to pay my tow bill?

Default Re: Towed from a Business Parking Lot with No Posted Signs

Your car was visibly broken down? Any outside damage? Leaking fluids? Was it in any way interfering with the flow of vehicles in the lot, or the entrance(s) or exit(s)? Was the tow ordered by the owner or by the police? Anything else we should know?

When you say "He never gave me time to respond" you mean the owner called and left you a message? What did he say in the message?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Your car was visibly broken down? Any outside damage? Leaking fluids? Was it in any way interfering with the flow of vehicles in the lot, or the entrance(s) or exit(s)? Was the tow ordered by the owner or by the police? Anything else we should know?

When you say "He never gave me time to respond" you mean the owner called and left you a message? What did he say in the message?
    No it wasn't visible that it was broken down. My rear differential broke so my back tires were locked. It wasn't interfering with the lot. The business was a marine storage and repair. The gate for the storage was on the other side of the building. Also, it was storming so there wasn't any boats coming and going at the time. I put my car in a space close to the road as so it wasn't near the building parking either. The owner called the tow truck not the police. The owner called my # and all he said was his name and the business and to call him back, but he didn't give me time to return his call before towing the car. He called me and the tow truck at the same time.

I don't want to get into speculation here. I don't know anything about the layout of the lot or the significance of the location of "gate for storage". If there's something about the layout of the lot that is relevant to your question you need to tell us what that is, because we won't otherwise know.

One way or another, it was apparent to the owner of the lot that you weren't a customer, and you didn't answer your phone or return his call when he attempted to reach you.
    Quote Quoting Tennessee Code, Sec. 55-16-111. Restrictions on towing of vehicles.
    Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, a vehicle may not be towed without authorization by the owner of the vehicle until twelve (12) hours have elapsed since it was first observed to be immobile or unattended unless the vehicle is creating a hazard, blocking access to public or private property, or parked illegally.

1. Sponsored Links