Default Modification of Support to Include Child Care and Medical Costs

My question involves child support in the State of: CA

In March 2010, the court ordered the father to pay monthly support excluding child care and medical/dental expenses. At the time I was unemployed and daughter was insured via Medi-Cal.

I am now employed full-time and incurring aforementioned expenses. I have filed a motion to modify existing order to include child care and medical/dental expenses not covered by health providers. Is father obligated to pay his fair share for anything else such as school-related expenses (uniforms, lunches, field trips, supplies, school portraits, etc.), academic tutoring, extracurricular activities (softball and equipment, music lessons, arts program, foreign language classes), etc.?

Additionally, my employer deducts $333.00 monthly pretax to include daughter in my health plan ($107 self; $440 self & 1 dependent). Is it reasonable for me to ask the judge to order father to pay half of $333.00 at $166.50 per month? Father is self-employed and unable to provide health coverage.

Please advise. Thanks!

Default Re: Modification of Support to Include Child Care and Medical Costs

It certainly sounds reasonable to me, however, whether or not it'll actually be granted is up to the family court judge. You can definitely make a request for modification of child support payments, but it might not be granted because the amount you ex is paying now should've already been a fully contemplation of support costs for your child. You would have to show that new circumstances warrant the increased support.

Default Re: Modification of Support to Include Child Care and Medical Costs

In March 2010, father (NCP) was ordered to pay $288.00 monthly and half of childcare expenses incurred as a result of attending job interviews only. I was unemployed at the time; therefore, there was no childcare expenses and medical/dental expenses were covered via Medi-Cal.

My request for modification needs to be very specific. If not, the court and NCP will allow me to continue absorbing 100% of all expenses. Does anyone know what NCPs' specific expense obligations (childcare, health, education, etc.) are under California's family laws?

Thanks!

1. Sponsored Links