Hybrid View

Default Is It Possible to Get Removed from the National Retail Theft Database

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I have posted on here before regarding my RTF 3rd degree situation last year. I just wanted to thank everyone who offered me advice and information. Ultimately, I did not get a civil demand letter from Meijer's. I did accept a plea deal that would have allowed me to NOT have a conviction on my record and as of 2 months ago, when I ran some background checks on myself, nothing is showing up at the national or county level, so I am hopeful/pleased that in this case, the system did work. I did however, request some more background checks that will show the ESTEEM report, which is from the national retail theft database subscribers. I believe that Meijer's is a subscriber. I have no way of knowing if I was entered into the database or not until I get these other two background checks. I am assuming I was however, why wouldn't they? I am truly remorseful about what I attempted to do and have attempted to make 'karmic' amends since the incident, namely by continuing to volunteer at the hospice center on a weekly basis where I did my community service. I have not attempted to enter the Meijer's store (even though I was told I wasn't banned) and I am hoping that if I discover my name is on that list, that I can request to have it removed so I can move forward and obtain employment. I have heard from other people in my situation that you can request to be removed, and I am prepared to write a letter requesting they remove me, but should I write directly to the store manager or do I write to their corporate headquarters?

Thanks for any information.

Default Re: Is It Possible to Get Removed from the National Retail Theft Database

First, be glad that you're not in the government/public databases, as that can be not only embarrassing, but also could make finding new work difficult.

As far as getting yourself removed from the private database, that is much harder to do since it's up to the private company itself to remove you. Petitions of support from the manager of the store you stole from can help, but ultimately the reason it's more difficult is because these lists help these companies earn money. And they aren't too willing to remove people short of legal threats or some other compelling reason.

You should first try and find out if you're actually in the database itself. If you aren't, no sense in letting them know. You can try and call the company to see. If you're on it, the plan you described is a good way to try and get yourself off it. Threatening legal action can also help if you're at a dead end though.

Default Re: Is It Possible to Get Removed from the National Retail Theft Database

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, God willing, I am not in the database. I definitely am remorseful and hope that I can soon reconcile my guilt and find forgiveness.

So if I understand correctly, the store cannot remove me from the database only the people who administer the retail theft database can? The store can request it but they could be denied by the administrators of the database? Just want to have some clarity on who does what...

Again, thanks

1. Sponsored Links