Question Evicting a Family Member with Children

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Maryland

I live with my parents, sister and her children (all under 18). What is the process for evicting my sister and her children? I own the home and her name is not on the mortgage, land title or deed. She is living here with a verbal agreement to pay a portion of the monthly bills (which she does not pay). Does the law in Maryland allow for me to evict her and her children? If so, what is the process? If not, what has to happen for me to be allowed to evict her? Is there a quick list of do's and dont's for the process? I apologize if this information is readily available in another thread. If it is, please point me to it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Evicting Family Member with Children

I gather you haven't googled the topic, but I'd do that and start reading up:

http://mdcourts.gov/district/forms/civil/dccv082br.html

Not sure why you'd think you couldn't evict them, but of course I'd start with a simple termination of tenancy notice (I think 30 days' worth does the trick in MD, but you will want to check). I'd also note in it that you aren't interested in filing an eviction action if she refuses to leave because it will hurt her ability to find rental housing in future if a landlord does any kind of rental reference check. Maybe that will inspire her to move on. You'd file the eviction action only if she refuses to leave after the end of the notice period.

Default Re: Evicting a Family Member with Children

Is the problem here that you believe that your parents will object to your evicting your sister? If so, do they make any claim of ownership in the home, or would they have a plausible argument for doing so?

Default Re: Evicting a Family Member with Children

No, I don't believe they would have a problem. They are just as fed up as I am. I just didn't know if there were any issues evicting children.

1. Sponsored Links