Unhappy Website full of lies

I can not seem to find an attorney in my area to help me or even give me some advice without wanting a huge retainer. Therefore, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I wont give you every detail (tat would take hours), but the basics are: My ex-husband and I were married for about 10 years (together about 15). We divorced in 2000 – he was very abusive to myself and the older children. He continuously hounded me to come back. He has been imprisoned and arrested several times due breaking the order of protection I had placed against him (I currently have class b order good until 2026). At any rate, we have been in and out of court several times over not only child support but for his bad parenting tactics. He was ordered to even stay away from the children because he was charged by our child protection agency with inadequate guardianship, neglect, improper supervision resulting in supervised visits which he has refused. His oldest daughter helped me in court and he is out for revenge now. He has not seen the children in almost 3 years or spoken to them. We have had our share of “digs” but I have tried to stay away from him for the most part (I will go into detail what I mean if you think I have a case). I recently found out that he has put up a website about me which certainly paints me in a false light. For the most part he exaggerates extremely in this website and flat out lies in other parts. He also has a sign in his yard that lights up at night with the website on it, he has decals on his truck with the web site and he even has bumper stickers and a yahoo groups web page where he continuously uses my full name, address and employer on these websites. I tried to get him arrested for this, but as usual, the police will do nothing, despite my order of protection and his threats in his web site towards me. Do you think there is anything I can do in regards to filing a civil suit against him? Do you know of any attorney’s who would take this “pro-bono”? I really need help with this, he just wont stop. Thank you for any information you can give.

Default Re: Website full of lies .....

Quote Quoting JeanSmith
    View Post
    I can not seem to find an attorney in my area to help me or even give me some advice without wanting a huge retainer. Therefore, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I wont give you every detail (tat would take hours), but the basics are: My ex-husband and I were married for about 10 years (together about 15). We divorced in 2000 – he was very abusive to myself and the older children. He continuously hounded me to come back. He has been imprisoned and arrested several times due breaking the order of protection I had placed against him (I currently have class b order good until 2026). At any rate, we have been in and out of court several times over not only child support but for his bad parenting tactics. He was ordered to even stay away from the children because he was charged by our child protection agency with inadequate guardianship, neglect, improper supervision resulting in supervised visits which he has refused. His oldest daughter helped me in court and he is out for revenge now. He has not seen the children in almost 3 years or spoken to them. We have had our share of “digs” but I have tried to stay away from him for the most part (I will go into detail what I mean if you think I have a case). I recently found out that he has put up a website about me which certainly paints me in a false light. For the most part he exaggerates extremely in this website and flat out lies in other parts. He also has a sign in his yard that lights up at night with the website on it, he has decals on his truck with the web site and he even has bumper stickers and a yahoo groups web page where he continuously uses my full name, address and employer on these websites. I tried to get him arrested for this, but as usual, the police will do nothing, despite my order of protection and his threats in his web site towards me. Do you think there is anything I can do in regards to filing a civil suit against him? Do you know of any attorney’s who would take this “pro-bono”? I really need help with this, he just wont stop. Thank you for any information you can give.
    Have you taken him to court for contempt for this? Have you contacted the DA office?

Default Re: Website full of lies .....

Check with the webhost. It is possible that he's violating their terms of service, and that they'll take the site down if the conduct is reported.

Default Re: Website full of lies

Yes I went to the local sheriff and the state police and they said there is nothing I can do. It is not fair that he can do this but if I retaliated I would go to jail. I need a legal way to make him take the site down and be charged. Every attorney I talk to wants like a $200 consultation fee. I am hoping somone can point me in the direction of an attorney in ny. My children are old enough to websurf so I keep them off the computer because they don't need to see these discusting lies about me, it's so frustrating when the law wont help you. ugh!!

also.... I can't find the webhost. When I go to the website there isn't anything stating who it is. I looked but found nothing, not even a guestbook.

I would consult a civil lawyer as well, as there are penalties for that kind of behavior. Some lawyers only will charge if you win the case. However, if you cannot afford a lawyer, it is possible for you to press charges yourself.

If the website has its own domain name (www.example.com), you can use "whois" to find the host - try http://www.domaintools.com/ .

pm me the website. i will have the chan clan look it up

Ok, I went to the whois site (or whatever it was) and found the information leading to the webhost. I sent them an e-mail telling them that this is a potential law suit and if it is not removed they could be facing charges as well as my ex-husband. They sent me an e-mail stating they would look into it, but I think that was a generated response as it wasn't very detailed. I just received a call from my children's counselor stating my ex called him requesting copies of their records, but he has not seen them in over 3 years (no phone call, no christmas presents or birthday presents, nothing - barely child support and that was like pulling teeth, thank God for garnishments or I would not see a penny - he refuses to pay for the medical and daycare) Guess I went a little off the subject of the site, sorry.... he just gets me so worked up, I feel helpless, the police wont do anything, as usual in my neck of the woods. Hopefully my e-mail to the web host (register.com) will remove the site. I am researching a civil attorney, but it is difficult. Thank you for the whois site, it got me exactly what I wanted. :-)

Keep in mind - a webhost in the United States is not responsible for it's users content. Thus, the webhost does not have to have it closed, however most Webhosts would care, and have it closed/make him change the information.

1. Sponsored Links