Default Can You Be Put in a Retail Theft Database Without Your SSN

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I did the stupidest thing in my life a year ago. I stole a $10 makeup foundation from Rite Aid. I honestly regret doing it. I was advised not to the pay the $300 Civil Demand, but I did because I felt really guilty about it. The police were not involved, and I was never called in to court or convicted. The LP got my name, address, and birthday, but not my ssn. The LP said they were going to put me in the database, but I read somewhere that they cross reference and need your ssn, but I'm not sure about this. Does anyone know? On the website it says something about everything must be verified and confirmed before it can be considered a "hit". I'm not sure what this means, or if they need my ssn. I know I made a bad choice and I've beat myself up about it ever since, I truly do feel terrible. I'm not defending my actions, it was stupid, and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't.

Default Re: Can You Be Put in a Retail Theft Database Without Your SSN

If the company running the retail theft database chooses to accept the report without a SSN, they can do so. If that happens, they can be expected to try to associate the report with your SSN through other available records.

Here is how they verify without social. Name, DOB, ID #, address.
    Were you over 18 when this happened? Bc that has bearing on the database.

Yep, same way your credit report gets derogatory information from people you didn't give your SSN to.

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    Actually, it doesn't. Nothing prevents them from keeping minor's records. If you're in the database, you're stuck with it for 7 years. No requirement to expunge minor's records at 18.

Most of the databases, though, don't accept reports of shoplifting by minors.

I stand corrected, NMRA doesn't record complaints against juveniles.
    The credit agencies, notably Experian (but probably the others as well) do.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If the company running the retail theft database chooses to accept the report without a SSN, they can do so. If that happens, they can be expected to try to associate the report with your SSN through other available records.
    I was 18 at the time, and my family is being sponsored by my uncle for green cards, so right now I don't have an ID or SSN. We expect to get our green cards this year though, would the database pick up on that? I know it was a very stupid decision, and if I had been arrested it would have definitely ruined my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    Yes I was 18 when it happened, I don't have an ID or an SSN yet, but I will have them this year (according to our lawyer), and this incident happened a year ago. The LP did write down my address, name, and DOB though. He called my mom to confirm the information I provided was true. Is that enough info to be accepted into the database?

You can count on being in the database if this is a store that is a member. If you get turned down for a job as a result of a background check there, you can ask for a copy of your record.

1. Sponsored Links