Default International Travel After Federal Citation for Possession of Marijuana

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Federal

I recently received a citation for possession of a small amount of marijuana on federal land. This is my first criminal offense of any type. Under the Federal First Offender Act, it seems that a fine and a year of probation is a standard plea-bargain for this type of case, after which the citation will be expunged from my record.

My concern is that I have recently taken a job overseas. I am scheduled to begin work several months before my court date (the court date is not yet set). I have two concerns:

• Could the pending charge complicate my work visa application (currently in process) or entry into a foreign country prior to my court date?

• Once I settle through a plea-bargain, could this affect my ability to re-enter the foreign country on my work visa?

• Has anybody had experience with fulfilling probation requirements while overseas?

Any advice or perspective would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: International Travel After Federal Citation for Possession of Marijuana

You would have to check with the actual country to see if such a conviction would prevent you from entering.

Default Re: International Travel After Federal Citation for Possession of Marijuana

Could the pending charge complicate my work visa application (currently in process) or entry into a foreign country prior to my court date?

Once I settle through a plea-bargain, could this affect my ability to re-enter the foreign country on my work visa?
    Yes to both. You're going to want to consult closely with an immigration attorney who is well versed in the laws of the country you intend to work in. Many countries will not let you enter with charges pending, and many more will not let you enter with a criminal record.

1. Sponsored Links