Default Received Negative Review on Online Review Site

My question involves defamation in the state of: california
    We received a negative review on Yelp, so I decided on messaging the person
    to try to find out what caused the person to be dissatisfied and if we could be of
    better service. This person would not tell us what happened. She would just
    get an attitude and respond with "leave me alone" and "you got a negative review,
    live with it." Im led to believe this person never even came to our store. Could I
    sue this person?

Default Re: Received Negative Review on Online Review Site

On what grounds would you think you have a case? There's got to be more about this.

Could I sue this person?
    For expressing a negative opinion about your business, then telling you to leave her alone when you contacted her out of the blue?

You could TRY, since you can sue for everything in the US, but you might find yourself terribly embarrassed when the judge tells you to learn to accept criticism and move on.

It's not libelous to write a negative review of a company.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

There's been some recent suits carried out against individuals for negative feedback, but those are primarily for medical doctors or surgeons, etc. The one I'm recalling in in Florida...someone posted a complaint about a plastic surgeon "botching" the surgery. The doctor talked to a lawyer who subsequently got a court order to take away the anonymity of the poster and they are being sued for defamation.

I'm not sure if this could be done to a retailer, though, because unless they specifically name or identify a person and/or their review focuses on one person then you probably don't have much luck.

If this person was an actual client and an employee was actually involved, then I would take it as it is and try to provide better service.
    Our business depends mainly on the cleanliness of the facility and service that the employees provide.
    The person claimed as a fact that the facility was dirty and employees were obnoxious. Ive asked what was dirty and
    what actually happened, but this person kept avoiding the question. There werent any complaints and we actually have
    a computer to keep track of all clients that visited on the day. If I dont do anything, Im afraid that this person or entity will make more IDs and
    continue to write more malicious comments.

If I dont do anything, Im afraid that this person or entity will make more IDs and continue to write more malicious comments.
    Welcome to internet reviews.

There's nothing to be done for it. She doesn't have to talk to you if she doesn't want to, that doesn't mean she's a fake.
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.

This is the problem with the internet.
    What seems to be a joke or a prank to some people, could result in a loss of something
    that others have worked for their whole lives .

It's ONE bad review. Let it roll off your back, you're going to get those sometimes.

1. Sponsored Links