Default Can My Leasing Office Tow My Car

Orange County, California.

I live at an apartment complex in a 3 bedroom apartment with two roommates. Each apartment is given 2 parking spots--1 garage and 1 assigned spot. Since we all drive, we have 1 car without a parking spot. As such, it is first come, first serve for the two spots and the third person parks his car in a visitor spot. However, we keep getting warning for whichever car is parked in a visitor spot, stating that we will get towed on the next violation. Luckily, we just keep getting warning instead of actually being towed. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I am not on the lease for the apartment.

1) Will they tow the car we have in the visitor spot?

2) Would it be better if I park my car in the visitor spot since I'm not on the lease--am I considered a "visitor"?

Default Re: Can My Leasing Office Tow My Car

You need to refer to the lease of those leasing the apartment as well as posted signage.

Quote Quoting mylasthope
    View Post
    1) Will they tow the car we have in the visitor spot?
    Well, unless those notices you're received say "J/K" at the end, I say Yupp, they'll tow it in a heartbeat. Tow truck drivers are ruthless... And they work quick!

I think you should check your lease agreement,and/or the parking regulations to see what the rules are regarding residents parking in visitor parking. If it mentions towing, then the answer is yes!

Quote Quoting mylasthope
    View Post
    2) Would it be better if I park my car in the visitor spot since I'm not on the lease--am I considered a "visitor"?
    Does management know you live there?

I still think you're taking a chance you don't want to take. keep in mind that towing fees and a day or two of storage will run you $300 to $500... NOT CHEAP!

Yep. They know I live here. They're not happy that I'm not on the lease.

This is probably the 20th warning we've received between my roommates and myself without having been towed. On Memorial day weekend, one of my roommates left his car in a visitor spot for a week, it received a warning and was scheduled to be towed on Saturady, according to a warning taped to the car. Lo and behold, the car was still there Monday morning.

Also, there are signs right next to the visitor spots stating that you can park in the visitor spots for 24 hours. My car is never there for 24 hours, but I did receive a warning this morning at 7 AM after parking my car last night at 9 PM.

Quote Quoting mylasthope
    View Post
    Yep. They know I live here. They're not happy that I'm not on the lease.
    Well, your roommates can expect that their lease will not get renewed when the time comes.

Quote Quoting mylasthope
    View Post
    This is probably the 20th warning we've received between my roommates and myself without having been towed. On Memorial day weekend, one of my roommates left his car in a visitor spot for a week, it received a warning and was scheduled to be towed on Saturady, according to a warning taped to the car. Lo and behold, the car was still there Monday morning.
    Keep bragging.. It sounds to me like you guys have been lucky thus far. There are times when luck will simply run out, and you're left with a set of car keys and a "I'm sure it was this visitor spot I parked it in last night".

Carry on... You'll learn your lesson some day!

1. Sponsored Links