Default Phone Number Listed As Number for Someone Else's Business

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: New York

I hope this is the right forum for this.

Last month I switched mobile phone service providers and received a new number. Apparently this number used to belong to a woman who is or was running a pitbull rescue in Florida. I receive numerous phone calls a day from people looking to either adopt or drop off pitbulls in Florida. I have contacted this person through the e-mail address they have listed on their site and received no response.

I then contacted the site hosting her business listing and asked them to remove the phone number, I have received no response. I then called the hosting site and was dumped to a full voice mail box after navigating through the auto menus.

I am not looking to sue or anything, but there has to be a way to get this issue resolved and end the large volume of calls I get each day.

Default Re: Phone Number Listed As Number for Someone Else's Business

why don't you ask your service provider if they can give you a different number?

I think jk has a point, the simpler thing would be to change your phone number or wait until the numbers of calls decrease, but it could take time and be really annoying I guess

Just say it's Micheal Vick's pit-bull rescue ... then they'll contact you

You could respond to the pit bull calls by saying things like "Hell no, we don't rescue pit bulls! We kill 'em! But first we torture 'em - in the most painful ways we can think of! It's fun! And after the fun is over, we eat 'em for dinner! Raw! Mmm-mmm!" Then after the rescue people get harassed a bit by animal rights and humane society officials, they may start to see how it might behoove them to change the phone number on their website.

You think you've got it bad? A friend of my husband's had the same problem - only it was for a bakery. It took two YEARS before he stopped getting calls from strangers who called him, "Sweetcakes".

Back when I was a kid, in the rotary dial phone days, we used to have a number that was one digit different from the number of the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). You can imagine how many wrong number calls we got, and it used to frustrate my mother no end - as she used to say, "It's not like you can say to them 'What's the matter with you are you blind or something???'"

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You think you've got it bad? A friend of my husband's had the same problem - only it was for a bakery. It took two YEARS before he stopped getting calls from strangers who called him, "Sweetcakes".

you're not really that gullible, are you cbg? I'm going to have to remember that story.

You think they called me honey? No, the folks that used to have this phone number sold honey and they thought this was still the stores phone number.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    as she used to say, "It's not like you can say to them 'What's the matter with you are you blind or something???'"

as the person on the other end says; why yes...yes I am.

If you ever come out to visit me, jk, I'll introduce you to the guy. Call him Sweetcakes and watch his ears turn red.

1. Sponsored Links