Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Racial Promotion Discrimination

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida

Can I sue my employer for racial discrimination for removing me from a potential promotion?
    Question Details : Since I've been hired almost 3 months now, I've been training on taking over a lot of the Controller's job duties and he is completely satisfied with my progress and work. Basically, being groomed to be his Assistant Controller but without the pay or title, though I have about 15 yrs of Accounting experience and am currently studying full-time and working on getting my Bachelor's in Accounting. I'm now being told that the owner is creating a new official Assistant Controller position that required a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance. That's technically makes me unqualified, though I'm currently doing the job and doing it well. They also want me to now pass on all my current tasks to this new person and help train them as well. As well as, take the position of someone who is leaving which is basically a demotion because it's basically data entry and receptionist duties. I believe it's racial discrimination, you see because I think the owner had an issue with a young Hispanic having access to highly classified company and employee information and 99% of the employees are white. I believe the owner forced the Controller to come up with some way to gently demote me or move me to another position. The Controller tried to sell it to me as something good with potential for me in the future, but I'm not buying it. I can tell he's not telling me the truth and he even gave me a $25 Starbucks card as a thank you for understanding. I've literally been doing a lot of the Controller's tasks perfectly well and I can tell he's not racist but the owner is a whole different story. I'm not sure if I have a case but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Racial Promotion Discrimination

You have a lot of guesses and presumptions going on there with absolutely nothing to support your claims.

Just what do you have to support your claim it is due to your race and actually not because they actually want somebody with a degree in that position?

If they didn't want you in the position because of your race, why did they hire you in the first place?

Believe what you want. Any large company that puts a non degreed person in charge of their books, which you would be, when the Controller is gone, is foolish. Any outside audit review should list this as a weakness.

I believe you would need to come up with more than what is in your post to prove racial discrimination.

Jk, thank you for your response.
    You are correct. All I have are guesses and presumptions. Of course, there are a lot of other details that would be pretty convincing to anyone but too many to post here. You'd have to be a minority to understand and easily recognize it from experience. Unfortunately, workplace racial discrimination is difficult to prove.

Quote Quoting dpagan
    View Post
    You'd have to be a minority to understand and easily recognize it from experience.
    and you are making this presumption based on????

If you believe there was racial discrimination, contact the EEOC. All we can see is what you post and there was nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, that you have posted that would even suggest racial discrimination.

(a) You've only been there three months and (b) you don't yet have a BA in Accounting (which is a perfectly reasonable minimum requirement for an Assistant Controller position.)

I don't remotely see any race discrimination here.

Beth focused on the point which caught my attention. OP, you have worked in the accounting field for 15 years. However, during this period you have not obtained your bachelor’s degree in accounting. While you may indeed know all of the ins and outs of the Controller’s Office at your job and race may be an unspoken factor here, your lack of a degree would legitimately disqualify you for the Assistant Controller position and likely sink a potential discrimination case.

In contrast, if and when you obtain your bachelor’s degree, you would be in a far better position to challenge being passed over under analogous circumstances.

You are all correct. Thank you for your insight and comments. I was full of presumtions and now see that my anger and disappointment got the best of me.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast