Default Insurance Denied Because of No Preauthorization

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Indiana

I had a hard whack on the head and my dr thought my brain was bleeding and sent me for an emergency CAT scan. Insurance denied the claim because there was no pre authorization. My insurance told me due to their contract with the provider, I was not responsible to pay this bill. When I was billed we had a three way call and the hospital agreed it was a write off. A year later I hear from a collection agency. Once again my insurance company stepped in, talked to the "attorney" and explained the situation. A few weeks later, the collection agency sent me a letter telling me after investigation I owe nothing. Now 5 months later, the same agency is after me to collect on the same bill that twice I was told I do not owe. What are my rights?

Default Re: Insurance Denied Because of No Preauthorization

Making sure a pre-authorization is obtained is your responsibility. You signed a paper agreeing to pay the hospital regardless. You are being held to that.

What happened when you reminded them about their past effort to collect the debt and how it was resolved?

Consider getting written confirmation of the resolution you reached with the hospital, so you have something you can mail or fax to a collection agency if it happens again.

They said that there is no record of that in the file, and besides, there lawyers only resolve by sending collection letters and accepting payment. I asked to speak with the woman I had dealt with before and they told me she does not speak with anybody. I am debating sending a copy of the letter they sent before.

Contact your insurance provider again and let them know what's going on, too.

I have the letter this very same collection agency sent me. They may not have kept a record of it, but I did

1. Sponsored Links