Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can You Go to Jail if You Default On Student Loans

sorry English is my second language, what you mean by speak with the creditors? Are they the U.S. Department of Education loans people that I borrow the money from?
    They have not turn me into the debt collector yet, but I think they will soon if I do not make their monthly payments.
    I borrow student loans through my university, the loans was first from Sallie Mae and they sell it and now belong to the U.S Department of Education

Media hype. They aren't arrested for non payment, but for failing to respond to court hearings. When they summon you to court and you dont show, of course they will arrest you. Not for debt. Show me one case post 1840's where someone went to jail for non payment of civil debt.

AOTS;628347]sorry English is my second language, what you mean by speak with the creditors?
    I mean call whoever you owe money to and talk with them. Let them know you are having difficulty and ask if there is any way to get an extension on the payment moratorium or if they can restructure your loan or anything that might help you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    Media hype. They aren't arrested for non payment, but for failing to respond to court hearings. When they summon you to court and you dont show, of course they will arrest you. Not for debt. Show me one case post 1840's where someone went to jail for non payment of civil debt.
    that's what I said. Geesh.

It does become a de facto debtor's prison though/
    They are effectively put in jail for not paying a debt.

So let say they sue me, I show up to court. I tell them I cannot find any job so I have no income to pay them. Can I ask the court to help me find any job? Are there like any couseling or programs that can help people find like $8 an hour minimum wage job? Once I have a job, I can pay them back.

And another question I want to ask. When I sign the Promisary Notes to get the loans. They ask for 2 sources of reference. So I put down my uncle address and phone. And my mom I think. They are just reference, they did not cosign anything.
    So by law, the debt collector cannot go through my Promisary Notes and go after my uncle and my mom right? Since he was just "reference" only, he didn't sign anything.
    I do not want they bother my uncle, to be honest, I am not close with them, I just put down uncle name as a reference.

The court doesn't care that you don't have a job. The court won't help you get a job.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    sorry, didn't mean to scare you.

What is happening in Illinois could happen in any state though. What is going on is when there is a judgment against a person, the judgment creditor is going to the courts seeking contempt of court charges against the judgment debtor if the debtor does not abide by the order and pay the creditor. This has resulted in people going to jail for essentially not paying a bill. It is a defacto debtors prison.

their state legislature is working on a law to stop the practice.

theoretically, it could happen in a lot, if not all, states. After all, a refusal to comply with a court order is just cause to find the person in contempt of court. Contempt of court can result in incarceration.
    Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I mean call whoever you owe money to and talk with them. Let them know you are having difficulty and ask if there is any way to get an extension on the payment moratorium or if they can restructure your loan or anything that might help you.

- - - Updated - - -

that's what I said. Geesh.

It does become a de facto debtor's prison though/
    They are effectively put in jail for not paying a debt.
    you sorta said that. You also said that people go to jail for not paying the creditors. Not true.

Follow jks advice, and call the people. Work out a payment plan. Pay it off.

AOTS;628352]So let say they sue me, I show up to court. I tell them I cannot find any job so I have no income to pay
    them. Can I ask the court to help me find any job?
    They are not there to find people jobs.

And another question I want to ask. When I sign the Promisary Notes to get the loans. They ask for 2 sources of reference. So I put down my uncle and aunts address and phone. They are just reference, they did not cosign anything.
    So by law, the debt collector cannot go through my Promisary Notes and go after my uncle right? Since he was just "reference" only, he didn't sign anything.
    I do not want they bother my uncle, to be honest, I am not close with them, I just put down uncle name as a reference.
    if they are only references, if they cannot contact you, they will contact them to try to find you. To avoid that, be sure you respond to any attempt to contact you. If you do that, they would have no reason to contact your uncle.

Quote Quoting AOTS
    View Post
    So let say they sue me, I show up to court. I tell them I cannot find any job so I have no income to pay them. Can I ask the court to help me find any job? Are there like any couseling or programs that can help people find like $8 an hour minimum wage job? Once I have a job, I can pay them back.

And another question I want to ask. When I sign the Promisary Notes to get the loans. They ask for 2 sources of reference. So I put down my uncle address and phone. And my mom I think. They are just reference, they did not cosign anything.
    So by law, the debt collector cannot go through my Promisary Notes and go after my uncle and my mom right? Since he was just "reference" only, he didn't sign anything.
    You are not right off the boat --- you cannot be serious with some of inquiries ... I'm done with this thread

Can you get a forebearance on your loans? You should qualify, since you are out of work. Contact your lender to see. Also, you might qualify for an income contingent or income based repayment plan, where payments are based on your income. Generally though, they base the payments on your previous year's income (as shown on your tax return). If you didn't work last year, or worked very little though, your payments should either be zero or very small. Good luck! I am also out of work with no luck finding another job, so I understand your frustration.

Hello Bloom, did you notice that this thread was created in June 2012?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast