Default Unaware of suspended drivers license

I am a pennsylvania driver who's liscense was suspended for unpaid fines. I was unaware that my liscnse was suspended and while driving i was pulled over. The polic officer advised me I had a suspended liscnse. I did my own research and came to find that the court office had sent my suspension letter to the wrong address and this was returned to them via mail. would my outcome be good to fight this in court. do I have enough information to win?

Default Re: suspended drivers license and unaware

any sugestions on what to do and what to pesent?

You never posted what you are charged with.

Courts frown on someone that does not pay their tickets.

I saw this issue all the time although it has to be recognized the law may vary from state-to-state. It is common practice for a court to order a license suspension for unpaid fines and costs, at least where the fines and costs are imposed for traffic offenses. I doubt you would have a defense to the suspension because you did not in fact know the license was suspended unless the suspension was in error--for example, in actuality you paid the fines and costs and the court mistakenly suspended your license on the premise that the fines and costs were not paid.

Another scenario that occurred with some frequency was that someone other than the person whose license was suspended (oftentimes a family member) got a ticket under their name, failed to appear, and then a license suspension resulted where the person whose license was suspended had no idea of what had happened. In that situation the license would be deemed suspended in error and the suspension invalidated (the true culprit was then usually prosecuted for the traffic offense and another offense for using a false name). Absent some scenario like that I doubt you would be successful with the "but I didn't know" defense.

Default Re: Unaware of suspended drivers license

I was charged with driving with a suspended license. Which they now have suspended my liscnse for 1 yr. at the time I was pulled over My license was suspended because I went through a stop sign a few days forward and was unaware there was an automatic 15 day suspension. They sent the suspension letter to me but they sent it to the wrong address. and my correct address was written on my citation.

Default Re: Unaware of suspended drivers license

does this make sense? do I have a chance?

1. Sponsored Links