Default Can I Charge Storage Fees or Get Ownership of a Vehicle Stored on My Land

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: South Carolina

In November 2011, my brother traded his car in on a vehicle he purchased. The vehicle is in my yard and is still here to this day. I have contacted the dealer by phone to ask them about the hold up with them picking the car up because it has been 7 months and the guy informed me he would come pick it up that same day and would call me back to let me know what was going on. He never called me back so I was wondering if I could charge them storage fees for the time it has been on my property for back and current fees. Also, how long does it have to be on my property for me to claim the car as my own? The dealership received the title for the car on the 28th of December so they have all rights to the car to pick it up.

Default Re: Can I Charge Storage Fees or Get Ownership of a Vehicle Stored on My Land

You cannot agree to store something then decide, seven months later, that you want to charge storage fees. You can only do that prospectively, with proper notice and consistent with the laws of your state.

Read this. If a vehicle is abandoned on your property, you may notify local law enforcement. At present, it appears to be stored with permission - in which case you need to revoke that permission before the clock starts ticking on abandonment.

Default Re: Can I Charge Storage Fees or Get Ownership of a Vehicle Stored on My Land

family member left a car on your land? hahaha join the club

1. Sponsored Links