Default What Are My Chances of Either Winning the Case or Getting a Lesser Punishment

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California
    I was at campsite with some of my cousins and some were drinking. The ones who were drinking we're over the age of 21. I was sitting in between two of my cousins who were over the age of 21 and their beer bottles where near my legs. Some park rangers came by and asked if we are all 21. Out of pure fright I said I was. They were making threats of putting us in jail for the night. However soon after I came clean I told them my age (19). They gave me a ticket for MIP (Minor in Possession) and for lying to an officer. None of the alcohol was mine and they just assumed I was drinking it because it was near me. I want to know what I can do to avoid a conviction for this. I haven't been in any serious trouble with the law before (aside from a curfew and seat-belt ticket before I was 18). I really want the least amount of punishment for such an inconvient turn of events. I do not want to lose my license for this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: What Are My Chances of Either Winning the Case or Getting a Lesser Punishment

You were caught with alcohol at your feet, lied to the police, and now want to know if you can convince a judge or jury that you were innocent? You can try, but even if you hadn't lied you wouldn't look particularly innocent. You can check the police report to see what it says about your demeanor, whether you smelled of alcohol, etc.

A local lawyer can advise you about possible plea bargains. The practices of prosecutors and courts can vary significantly by county.

1. Sponsored Links