Default Can I Be Denied Access to My Physician Over Medical Debt

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Colorado
    I was told I could not see my Primary Care Physician ever again if I don't sign a document stating that I owe money I don't feel I owe as well as a document for a payment plan. After refusal to sign these documents I was told I was no longer going to have access to my PCP under any circumstances. My response was that I would be seeking legal advice on the matter and then I received a letter in the mail stating that because I had stated that I was seeking legal advice about this issue, not only would I not have access to medical care at the Clinic I have been going to for over 12 years, but now my Family is being denied as well. Is this legal?

Default Re: Can I Be Denied Access to My Pcp Over Medical Debt

A doctor isn't responsible for new visits from a patient who won't pay or for just about any reason they care not to do so. The duty to treat only deals with emergent situations or in certain cases where continued treatment is required.

Why do you feel you don't owe the money you are being charged? There's a reason I'm asking.

The debt was a surprise, I was handed a receipt fo my co-pay for an appointment and read at the bottom it said balance due $600.00 when I asked what this was I was told to call billing, billing told me that this balance was from co-pay's in 2009 and that the amount was wrong as she scrolled through to realize as she said "the discount had not been applied and she applied it right then and told me the new balance was now $401.00. I told her I needed proof of what this debt was and how it occurred as I have always paid my co-pays and I never got any proof. It took me almost a year to get some paper work with dates on it that said I owed $10.00 or $15.00 or even $2.00 for co-pays. I then got a notice stating I had signed a co-pay contract that I would pay co-pay's prior to service and that I had not honored the contract and would not be allowed to see my PCP if I did not sign documents agreeing to the validity, amount and a payment plan. I got copies of the contract's and the contract I signed dated 03/2012 did state I would pay prior and I always have. A contract I signed in 2008 stated all co-pays would be at time of service and that even though this clinic contracts with my Insurance, (medicare) the clinic would bill them but required payment of all co-pay's at the time of service no matter what. I do recall handing my summery sheet to the clerk at check out in 2009 and being told I did not have a co-pay due. Because all co-pay's were due at the time of service I believed that I did not owe any co-pay then as I was told and assumed it must be because I was there for a medication refill visit only and needed a hand written script. This is complicated as I am disabled and very sick and my PCP requests to see me monthly. It is the billing dept. saying these things, not the Doctor. I have always paid my co-pay's and dispute these co-pay's from 3 years ago. I am very upset about all of this and did tell them I did not want to be bullied into paying a debt I don't feel I owe via threat of not seeing my Doctor ever again. I could go on and on, this is basically the jest of this issue in a short form. Any kind of sound advice is going to be greatly appreciated. Right now I am just,

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the response, my Doctor isn't saying these things, it is the billing office for the clinic my Doctor works for. I am disabled and have 2 Chronic illness's that require on going care and can be life threatening. These co-pay's they say I owe I found out about in April 2011, they are from all of 2009. I asked for proof and it took a year of complaints and then as they began with the threat's, I became demanding about proof which just does not add up. I can not tell you how stress filled this situation is to me being so sick, I am in tears over this because I feel like I am being bullied and just don't know what to do. Again when I tried to stand up for myself I was just flat told I was no longer allowed to see my PCP, this is when I said I would be seeking legal advice and the next day the letter came not only denying me medical care with her, but my husband and Granddaughter we are raising. Any good advice is appreciated.

What does your insurance carrier say about this?

I'm serious. If you are on any kind of managed care plan at all (HMO, PPO, POS) your insurance carrier will have a department specifically for dealing with this sort of issue. It may be called Provider Relations; it may be called something similar. But this department will be charged with making sure that this kind of issue is resolved. They will know whether you do or do not owe these copays (not necessarily without research - do not expect a yes or no answer immediately upon making contact). If you do owe them, they will explain to you why. If you do not owe them, they will explain to the doctor's billing office why.

1. Sponsored Links