Default Dealer disclosed my wife's contract.

Good morning everyone,

I'll get right to the point. Three months ago my wife and I bought two new cars from a local VW dealer. Although their customer service was truly bad, we're pretty happy with the deal we got; you know the saying; money talks ...... ., so we got it from there.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine mentioned to us he's also looking for a car and that he really likes the VW Passat. He asked us if he could mention our names to the dealer as a reference and also to get to a better negotiating position and a better deal at the end. My wife and I said yes of course.

To make the story short. Yesterday, my friend stopped by with his new car and tells us his buying story. While negotiating the price, the dealer's manager printed out and showed/disclosed to my friend my wife’s purchasing papers for her car. The manager used my wife’s "bill of sale" as his selling tool and an argument that my friend is getting a better deal ($100 less).

To my friend's surprise he admit he could see everything including my wife's (probably mine too) personal information.

It's indeed unethical and we plan to send a letter to VW corporate as well as the dealer to address this issue.

However; we would also like to know; is this "selling" technique even legal?

Thank you for your time and help.

Have a nice day.

L.J.

Default Re: Dealer disclosed my wife's contract.

In what state?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    In what state?
    I'm sorry, we live in Georgia.

Thank you.

L.J.

There may well be a statute on point - unfortunately, in its free online form, the Georgia code is difficult to navigate. You may be able to get clarification of your rights from the Georgia Attorney General's Consumer Interests Section.

Thank you aaron, I really appreciate your advice and I'll look into it later today.

I don't know if it's even worth of anything, yet both of us my wife and I feel like something should be done about this unethical and very unprofessional business practices. Or, should we just let it go?

What's your opinion on that, if I may ask?

Thank you again and have a nice day.

L.J.

My guess is that VW will look into it, apologize, and perhaps even offer you something to help make amends, so pursuing that route can't hurt. Contacting the AG's office is free, although it isn't necessarily the case that they'll pursue the matter.

1. Sponsored Links