Default Is It Legal To Publish Pardon Information Online

I am looking for information in regards to the legality of a website associated with a small newspaper that has had the full pardoned information of persons crimes, pardon dates, etc. available online for last 2+ years.

Not looking for any sympathy, but my story is that I was charged with a misdemeanor offense shortly after my 18th birthday. Turned my life in a different direction, obtained 3 college degrees and a pardon while attending school. I recently have been working with a aerospace and defense corporation that i'd like to leave unnamed, and may be required to obtain a security clearance at some point. I'm concerned about the fact that my background checks have all been ok but there was a fiasco in the state of South Dakota a few years back in which a local newspaper posted the information of all persons receiving pardons during the administration of Governor Janklow. Now today a little more than 2 years later this newspaper still has a website showing this information if anyone were to simply "google" a persons name.

I feel in many situations of myself and others in the same boat we would have all been better off not receiving a pardon in the first place. Does anyone have any information as to if it is legal for this newspaper to do this?

Default Re: Is it legal to publish pardon information online?

Pardons are public records, so I doubt that there is anything that can be done to force the site's removal.

I agree with Mr. K's post. I'd add you are still probably better off with the pardon than you would be without it in that in many jurisdictions a pardon will restore certain civil rights to you that were lost as a result of the conviction--depending, of course, on the offense for which you were pardoned.

However, the record will still most likely be on the FBI database. I would list in when you are filling out SF-86, in the other category. It will most likely come up, and not admitting it will harm you. You should be excluded from it harming your clearance consideration, unless it falls under 10 USC 986.

ok, thanks for taking the time to give input. It is much appreciated.

1. Sponsored Links