Default Denied Unemployment for Voluntary Quit, but I Never Quit My Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I was denied unemployment due to section 1256. I guess they are saying that I left my job voluntarily & refused a leave that would of held my job. I am pregnant & was put on disability for 2 months. I submitted my leave of absence & tried to return to work, however, I had restrictions from my doctor. I submitted them to HR along with my release letter allowing me to return to work & they sent me a letter saying they would extend my disability leave if I wanted & there was no modified work at this time. I NEVER quit my job & didn't apply for another disability leave of absence because I CAN and am WILLING to work. The letter they sent me says theres no modified work & they will terminate me in June if I can't return to work. I tried returning to work so now what do I do?

Default Re: Denied Unemployment for Vq but I Never Quit My Job

Return to work with no restriction. Stay of work and try for CA disability or find a new job.

Default Re: Denied Unemployment for Voluntary Quit, but I Never Quit My Job

You timely file for an appeal in front of an ALJ, submit your documents as evidence, and then wait for a decision.

Default Re: Denied Unemployment for Voluntary Quit, but I Never Quit My Job

Being willing and able to work is only part of the issue. The problem is that you have to be willing and able, with reasonable accomodation, to do the job the employer needs done. If your physician has placed restrictions that prevent you from doing the job the employer hired you to do, that's when disability should be utilized. The employer doesn't have to make up modified work for you, and if they don't have such a position or need the type of work you are able to do, and you declined to apply for appropriate leave, you may be out of luck. But as chyan indicated, an appeal can't hurt.

1. Sponsored Links