Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Phone and Email Contact

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Flordia and Georgia

I have a couple of quesions regarding phone and email contact that I can find an answer to online. my ex has recently, within the last three to four months, started exercising his regular visitation rights. In the past 6 years since our divorce he has not seen the kids like was alloted in the court order due to his work being active duty military and because of his own personal choices and reasons. I am all for his seeing the kids like he is supposed to and that isn't my issue. My issue is that in a phone call yesterday he said that he read all the emails that one of my daughters and I have been sending back and forth and he doesn't like what I said so now he is saying that while the kids are at his house I am not allowed to contact them by phone or email at all. I have never denied the kids the right to email or phone their dad except when its during school, church, dinner, or at bedtime. Im not sure if they have his email address or if he has theirs. What he told me is that I don't have the kids call him when they are home so he isn't going to let them call me when they are at his house. My kids have callled and emailed in the past and he has not answered or never called back so they stopped trying. He sees phone and email as its the kids responsibility to call him not his to call them. The children are ages 12, 10 and 8. He states the paper says he gets 2 weeks uninterrupted summer time and that means I can't contact the kids at all but when I said the papers say i get the same time he said no you don't because they live with you. I can't find anything on exactly what uninturrupted time is other than two weeks stright with no back and forth between houses. I even said I wanted to do that for the full summer time which is 5 weeks each because weekends are the only time when anyone can paln anthing because everyone works except him. I don't call the kids or email them when they are they I only answer calls and emails when they initite the contact.
    My questions are
    1) can he legally read all the private emails sent between me and he kids?
    2) can he legally deny them and me and te kids the right to talk to each other either by phone or email when they are at his house?

Default Re: Phone and Email Contact

1) can he legally read all the private emails sent between me and he kids?
    Yes. His computer, his rules.

2) can he legally deny them and me and te kids the right to talk to each other either by phone or email when they are at his house?
    No.

Its not his computer its mine that I provide for them.

Are you saying you send a laptop along with them?

So I can read any and all correspondence between him and the children as well then? I don't because I feel that each parent is entitled to a certain level of privacy between themselves and their child I was told in GA that there are rules that say neither parent is allowed to do read things sent between parent and child I was trying to find out if this was an actual presedence in all states or just GA or if it exists at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes my middle daughter aksed for one for Christmas and my finance and I got her one so I paid for the computer for her to have for her own personal use.

Yes my middle daughter aksed for one for Christmas and my finance and I got her one so I paid for the computer for her to have for her own personal use.
    That changes the answer, then. No, he has no inherent right to access that computer AT ALL.

Change the password on your daughter's email account and instruct her not to disclose it. She should also have a startup password that she similarly does not disclose.

I had her do that but he made her log on and give him the computer. I can't tell her to openly defy her father because that's wrong and I am afriad he will take out the punishment of his anger on her and I definately don't want that but if I have a legal backing in this then I can bring it up in court during our modification hearing. He has a attorney and I dint I'm pro-se so I'm trying to do some homework on this topic but haven't been able to find any legal presedence for it in Florida where the case is Bering heard.

Dad can supervise computer use during visits at his house, and he can also ban computer use during visits to his house.

This isn't a case in both Florida and Georgia - one state or the other has jurisdiction. Which is it?

What it in the emails is he complaining about? For example, are you guys complaining about him in the emails or is it just normal chit-chat?

Florida is where the modification is Georgia is where the children and I live. My problem is he wants to deny the kids the right to contact me when they are there but I'm supposed to monitor and make sure they call and contact him when he won't call them himself. I'm tired of having to facilitate his relationship with his kids when I feel like it should be up to him to call his kids.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast