Default Can You Use a Towing Service Other than the Designated Towing Company

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California

This is in a business location. There is an issue involving one of the tenants who parks his and his customer's vehicles in other tenant's assigned parking spots. Every time I get to the office, he has a car parked there and I have to go ask him to move it. One day he parked a car overnight in which I have had enough of him taking advantage and called the assigned towing company that is on the sign in front of the parking spot saying "Subject to Tow at Owner's Expense. Police Dept. Phone Number -- ABC Towing (Not real)" He told me he is won't come to tow the vehicle and said he will come the next day to talk to the tenant (He has done this a few times).

My question is: Am I allowed to use a different towing company to tow a vehicle out of my assigned parking spot (At owners expense)? For example, use XYZ Towing even though ABC Towing is assigned.

To confirm, these are spots that are assigned to me. This tenant I am having an issue with has been a real pain to deal with.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Tow an Unassigned Vehicle Using a Non-Posted Towing Company

No, you must use the towing company listed. The older version of the law didn't require the towing company to be listed (frankly it was just advertisement back then). Now the law requires the listing of any company authorized to tow on the sign.

I see, is there anything else I can do that could get him to stop parking in the spots? I would assume the parking is 'private property' and I can't just get a patrol car to issue a ticket. I know that once he gets one ticket or gets towed, he will stop. Unfortunately the towing company is giving me a difficult time

Are you the property manager for the location? If not, that is probably why the tow company won't remove it...you may not have the authority to order the tow. If you are the PM, maybe it's time to get a new tow contractor.

The guy I'm leasing the spot from owns the towing company. I'm going to see if he is the actual property manager, I do appreciate the responses and I thank you guys for it.

1. Sponsored Links