Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012

    Default Changing My Child's Name with No Father Named on the Birth Certificate

    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Missouri

    I would like to know if I can easily change the name of my child who is over one year of age. She currently has my maiden name. The biological father is not named on the birth certificiate nor was paternity established. I married before she was one and she only knows my husband as dad and we would like to keep it that way. She was born in another state and we now live in Missouri. She is begging for her name to be the same as the rest of the family. She uses the family name for everything except legal school documents. We attempted step parent adoption but the bio would not respond to the correspondence and it became too costly when the lawyer wanted to serve him in a different state.

    If this is too difficult, what about adding the family name to hers giving her four names? Or to leagally hyphenate it? Our preference of course is to drop my maiden name and change it to the family name.

    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Changing My Child's Name with No Father Named on the Birth Certificate

    one of the regulars here refers to this as a backdoor adoption. Courts do not like backdoor adoptions. You will have to attempt to contact the presumed father when attempting to change the name. Since it was too expensive when trying to adopt, it will be too expensive now.

    adding a name or hyphenating would require the same actions as just changing her name.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Changing a Child's Name: Changing Child Last Name on Birth Certificate - Father is Deceased
    By freedom03 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
  2. Named on Birth Certificate but Not the Biological Father - Avoiding Child Support
    By itisi8 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
  3. Changing a Child's Name: Changing a Child's Name - Father is Absent and Not on Birth Certificate
    By cj0183 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Name Change Forms
Quick, easy-to-use forms for all 50 states.