Default Former Employer Gave Out My Unpublished Phone Number

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: TX

I was working for a nationally known bank for almost 5 years. Since I was also a customer at the bank, once I left I expected my privacy to be respected just as any other customer.

So that my story makes sense, I have to say that a lady (non-bank customer) came in one day to cash a check, but we started talking about why she was cashing the checks. (She makes handmade scarves.) I asked that she come back on payday so I could get one for a Mother's Day gift, but she told me to hang on to the scarf and she would come back for payment. By the time the next payday rolled around, I had already left.

I am fully aware that I owe her the money, however, I was not aware that my former employer could just give out my information (remember, unpublished) to just anyone. I would have lost my job if I had given out customer information to anyone else!

Is this considered acceptable or is there anything I can do about it?

Default Re: Former Employer Gave Out My Unpublished Phone Number

What actual damages have you suffered as a result of it?

As of now, nothing, but the situation is still new. I will say that when the lady called me, she called at like 11 p.m.. My friends and family don't even do that!

I just think that giving out my information was wrong and that there were other options, you know?

I'm not saying you're wrong. But not every wrong has a legal remedy.

Until or unless you suffer some actual damages that can be directly tied to your employer having given out your phone number, you have nothing to sue for.

I've read the privacy policy and it clearly states that my information can be given out to the bank affiliates for marketing, credit, things related to my services with the bank. Since that is not the case, how am I, as a customer, protected?

Whose privacy policy are you talking about?

(Most people think they have a great many more rights to privacy under the law than they actually do, just FYI.)

You can pay the lady for the scarf. It is related to the banks relationship with their customers as they might get the reputation for hiring thieves, who don't pay their debts.

1. Sponsored Links