Exclamation Caught Shoplifting in Ohio at Target

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I was recently caught shoplifting at target with a total of $81 worth of merchandise. I was told I would receive a court summons in the next few months. This is my first offense of any kind (other than 1 speeding ticket and some parking tickets - which were taken care of in a proper manner.) I am 20 years old, in college. I signed targets papers stating I had been caught and that I am now trespassed throughout the state.

What can I do to get the least harsh sentence?
    Do I need a lawyer?*****
    Will this affect my career choice (Biomedical Engeneering)?
    Will this affect my ability to get a job in retail or otherwise?
    What are the possible outcomes (I.E. community service, probation, fees, jail. felony, misdemeanor.)?

The LP officer told me I'm likely to be charged misdemeanor with the chances of it falling off my record after probation.

How can I get free or inexpensive advice in person?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting in Ohio at Target

first off i highly doubt you will be able to get a job in the retail industy now that you have signed those papers. and i would get a lawyer (court appointed if you cant afford one) secondly you can call around and find a lawyer that would be willing to give a free consult, dont go into the meeting saying hey im not gonna hire you just need some advice. let on like you might be willing to hire but you are shopping around for other lawyers. you will probably be hit with some fines and probation. and in the long run when you do finish you degree with a high profile job like you are probably wanting they will do a background check and it very well might keep you from getting the job you want so might have to negotiate pay and benefits to get you in the door.

Thank you so mich for your reply

Was I not require to sign those papers?

I am not positive I signed saying I agree that I did it or if I just signed saying yes I was stopped. Is it possible I did not sign saying I agree that I shoplifted?

Is there any chance of the charges being dropped because its a first offense or it falling off my record after a certain point?

You likely signed papers like these:

I admit to shoplifting at X store.
    I agree to stay out of X store and all its locations for X years.

Is there any chance of the charges being dropped because its a first offense or it falling off my record after a certain point? This, you need to consult with a local attorney about, but don't be too hopeful it will be dropped. Just hope for a plea-deal down to a lesser charge, or hope you can be offered a First Time Offenders program.

Was I legally obligated to sign them? Or could I have declined?

How are you getting your information? I don't mean to doubt you - I only want to be as thorough as possible.

If you had declined, the police would have been called.

Target really doesn't care whether or not the shoplifter signs the papers. Apparently she did sign the papers and the police were still involved. Signing the admission only strengthens their case. Not that they really needed her to sign in the first place.

1. Sponsored Links