My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I'm 19 years old. I was caught shoplifting for the first time at a CVS in my neighborhood, about $30 worth of things, on my way out of the store. The LP officer took me into a room, and got a photocopy of my driver's license, as well as my cell and home phone number (I don't live at home), my mother's name, and my home address. After telling me that I would be banned from all CVS stores and telling me to expect a letter from the company lawyer, he allowed me to leave.

On my way home, I received a call from the store, but I was unable to answer it. I know it was from the store because I had called a few hours earlier asking a few questions clarifying my situation. Should I be worried that I couldn't answer it? What was the call for?

Personally, I would really like to fix all of these things on my own, without having to worry my parents about it. Even though they have let me go now, would the police be involved at some point? How much would the fines add up to? If I do have to pay fines, how much time would I have to get the money? Will I have to appear in court? Would I have to pay for a lawyer or attorney? I believe that an attorney would be assigned to me if I cannot afford one, is this true? And would this be helpful?

I've also heard that sometimes the company involved does not even send a letter to the thief, is this true?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really scared. I've never gotten into any trouble at all before this, and I really would not like this to go on my record.