Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Employee Theft by Refund Fraud

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

A few days ago I was contacted by loss prevention at the company I work for concerning a few returns I had made using the same debit card I used to pay for the items purchased. I was a little hesitant to confess at first but I finally admitted to what I did and explained it in full detail. I told loss prevention that it was for the purpose of increasing KPI. Right now I am placed on suspension from my place of work and am wondering what to do from this point on. I am in the process of submitting my letter of resignation...is there anything else I should do or anything else to expect during this process?

Default Re: Employee Theft by Refund Fraud

Should we be guessing here that you were defrauding the company, say, by returning the items for more than you paid for them?

No the items I returned were refunded for the same amount I paid for. Also there were non-refundable memberships that I paid for as well that I didnt get my money back on for company policy purposes so I actually got less money back.

I am in the process of submitting my letter of resignation...is there anything else I should do or anything else to expect during this process?
    Expect your letter of resignation to be accepted. Alternatively, expect to be terminated for cause. You will not be eligible for UI, and I wouldn't expect a good reference, either.

Thank you for the information...do you know if there are any legal actions to take as well? LP told me they would possibly contact police but Im not sure if that will happen or not.

Quote Quoting ejohnson254
    View Post
    Thank you for the information...do you know if there are any legal actions to take as well? LP told me they would possibly contact police but Im not sure if that will happen or not.
    Just for future reference: if you are ever accused of anything again, even if you did it, never, ever, take responsibility or admit it. Speak to a lawyer if it's a remotely legal situation, or just speak to nobody.

As it's return fraud, they could call the police. Did you sign any statement stating you did it?

Ok I will keep that in mind. As far as signing a statement I was told to fill one out and I admitted to everything.

If what you signed didn't have a Miranda warning attached it can't be used to prosecute you criminally but it can be used to justify your termination - chances are the Police have bigger fish to fry and won't be interested unless you pulled any other capers that come to light

Quote Quoting pat2899
    View Post
    If what you signed didn't have a Miranda warning attached it can't be used to prosecute you criminally but it can be used to justify your termination - chances are the Police have bigger fish to fry and won't be interested unless you pulled any other capers that come to light
    Actually Pat, they confessed to store LP and there is no requirement for them to give the OP a "Miranda" warning unless they were working in direct concert with the police. In this case, it does not appear to be the case.

Quote Quoting pat2899
    View Post
    If what you signed didn't have a Miranda warning attached it can't be used to prosecute you criminally.......
    Don't know where you got this presumption, but it's more than a little inaccurate.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast