Default Obtaining Title Info from 1957

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas

My dad will turn 80 in a few years and I want to find his old race car for his birthday. All I have is basic visual detail of the car ... no VIN, no plate #, no subsequent owners. My only hope is that it is the only car like it purchased new in Southeast TX.

Does a database, whether electronic or hard copies, exist to search Texas registrations from 1957? Companies that specialize in this? Is it possible to check driving records for tickets (and I'm sure he got more than a few from racing!) that might include a plate number? Any other ideas to get to the ultimate info ... the VIN?

Thanks,
    Mike Bonin

Default Re: Obtaining Title Info from 1957

A car specifically built as a race car back then was probably never titled in Texas. Race cars also tend not to have a whole lot of longevity. If it is something uncommon your best bet would be to search current databases and contact racers and antique car collectors hoping to find a lead on it. If this car is something that there are marque clubs for they can be a very valuable source of information. Often they've managed to dig up the original manufacturer's paper records.

Thanks. For clarification, it was a licensed, titled street car that he drag raced in stock class. 1957 Chevy 210 post sedan with 283 and fuel injection.

I am working the suggested angle but it seems tracing backwards from thousands of potential candidate cars hoping it to be my dad's is a lot tougher than scanning hundreds of titles in a database hoping to run across it.

Does a database, whether electronic or hard copies, exist to search Texas registrations from 1957? Companies that specialize in this? Is it possible to check driving records for tickets (and I'm sure he got more than a few from racing!) that might include a plate number? Any other ideas to get to the ultimate info ... the VIN?

The National auto theft bureau (funded by the various insurance companies) knows everything there is to know about VIN #'s (NATB) may have been changed but if you google around you may be able to access it for nothing else than to see how far the #'s go back......there has got to be vehicles (historical) that are currently still registered in the various states that go back even further - good luck........if you have the vin run it in google and see what if u get any hits of similar vehicles

PS state motor vehicle departments like to sell DMV data call them and ask them how much for a listing of every such vehicle in that county in 1957 if they have it maybe you can buy it.

1. Sponsored Links