Default Did Not Finish Community Service

I have an interesting case. Back when I was 18 years old I got caught stealing a phone card. I don't remember what it was worth, maybe $10 to $30 at the most. The store that caught me had me fill out some forms and told me when to show up at court. At my first appearance I was asked if I could afford an attorney. I said no and the judge told me I could work off the services of a public defender by doing some public service. I did the public service and got the public defender. Then they said I could have diversion if I completed some more public service. At the time I was a student and working and was having trouble getting all the community service done. I came to court on the day I was supposed to have all the community service done, to qualify for the diversion, with the idea that I could ask for more time because I was not finished with all the public service. The judge said he was tired of all the shoplifters and was cracking down and that the case would now be closed. I don't remember all the details as this was almost 10 years ago now. I had a minor consumption, alcohol charge a year before that I got diversion for and got it dissmissed and besides that I have nothing else on my record. What should or can I do? Also what will the Criminal Background Check show. Just confiction for theft. Will it list the details, the plaintiff, and or anything else? Do you think I could get the case reopened? Looking for any options here. Also where can I get my complete criminal record as it would show up in a detailed search performed by an employer.

Default Re: Did not finish community service

Q: What should or can I do?

A: Surrender. (By the way, this is one of the most boring cases I've heard of.)

Consider consulting a criminal defense lawyer about the best way to resolve the probation violation.

In most states you can order your criminal history (for a small fee) from the state police. Sometimes it is available online, and sometimes it is sent by mail. There are also private services which will look up and sell you your criminal history, as it appears in whichever databases they use.

There was no probation violation, I did not meet the deadline to have my community service finished and the judge chose to apply the confiction. With that judges ruling, will the record show that I was originally given the chance to have it diverted from my record. If I hired a lawyer could I get the case reopened or if not that, could I qualify for expungment, considering I was given diversion/no conviction initially.

Quote Quoting Moxidon
    Also where can I get my complete criminal record as it would show up in a detailed search performed by an employer.
    What your employer might get depends on the service and the depth of any background check or investigation.

As to what your state criminal history might show, what state are you in?

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I am in Indiana.

Quote Quoting Moxidon
    View Post
    I am in Indiana.
    Check this site to see what your criminal history has on it:

http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/isp-lch/

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting Moxidon
    View Post
    There was no probation violation, I did not meet the deadline to have my community service finished and the judge chose to apply the confiction. With that judges ruling, will the record show that I was originally given the chance to have it diverted from my record. If I hired a lawyer could I get the case reopened or if not that, could I qualify for expungment, considering I was given diversion/no conviction initially.

In my mind it was YOUR choice to not finish the community service in accordance with the court giving you a chance to do so, so the judge had every right to apply the conviction. I had 3 months to perform 500 hours of service I beleive it was - almost would have taken me a full time jpb (in addition to the fact I work now) - but I was lucky enough to find a kind hospital worker that let me volunteer and do alot of computer work from my home in exchange for the community service.

1. Sponsored Links