Default Terminating My Own Parental Rights

My question involves child support in the State of: South Carolina
    I had my children removed from my custody due to neglect. I was granted supervised visitation. Since then i have only got visitation twice. Child support was not given in court but my childs father got me up. I am unable to pay being out of work for three years and i am trying to finish college if i ever have hope of supporting my children. I have actively looking for work but no luck I am living with someone because i can not support myself. Would terminating my rights be in the best interest of my child, because i am unable to support him and i am not allowed to see him plus he was removed from his father also but he finished his treatment plan and custody was given back. I got two other children to take care of and getting a degree would help my situation alot because i have no husband, cant get a job because of lack of education and skills and a criminal history due to this case.

Default Re: Terminating My Own Parental Rights

Not going to happen unless there is a an adoption or stepparent adoption taking place.

The state wants two parents to be responsible for a child; not them or the taxpayers.

Why are you no longer allowed to see him? Have you actually completed your plan?

It's not really YOUR rights that the court is out to protect. It's the right of the CHILDREN to have two parents that the court cares about. You may not be able to support them today, but you might tomorrow, or next year, or 3 years from now, or 10 years from now. The court also isn't going to be happy about your willingness to cut ONE child out but still somehow be taking care of two others (judges often have some very harsh comments to make about such things). If there's a child support order against you, and you've been chronically unemployed, that's a perfectly valid reason to ask the court to minimize the amount you're ordered to pay - but it realistically won't get any lower than calculations based on a full time minimum wage job. Still, it may lower the amount that is stacking up against you monthly, and if you don't at least ASK the court to cut it down that far, it will just keep building up as time marches on.

Be careful with using enrollment in school too - lots of people work full time AND go to school full time, and the courts are well aware it's entirely possible. So unless you can document that you've been rejected for every potential open position, the court will give a scowl there too.

What about work study programs at school? Have you spoken to a guidance counselor at your college about the problems you're having and asked them to help with solutions? (Inquiring judges will want to know that too.)

The court gave me supervised visitaion but after dss closed the case my childs father moved out of his house and left no contact information. Now three years later i am in court for child support that was not issued at the time of removal or at the closing of the dss case they actually was seeking termination of my rights then. I was given no plan by dss like i said they wanted termination of rights they terminated my right on two other children before.

1. Sponsored Links