Default Driver's License Suspended Due To An Accident

I live in Washington state and got into an accident 2 1/2 years ago. I wasnt insured and the police were not involved. It was the other guys fault but I had no insurance company to fight for me. So his insurance company paid his claim. Then sued me for the money. I was never given a court date but the judge granted the insurance company $1400.00 and suspended my license until it is paid. What is the law that supports that and is there anything that would protect me from this happening? Please help, thank you. -Mike

Default Re: Lic suspend due to accident???

You have a judgment entered against you as a result of an auto accident. your license is suspended for not having insurance and because of the unpaid judgment. Pay the judgment, get a satisfaction of judgment by the carrier, and re-apply for your license. Plus you will need to show proof of insurance.

Default Re: Driver's License Suspended Due To An Accident

But my insurance company dropped me for not having a license. Am I able to get insurance even without a license? That would be the only way for me to show proof.

Quote Quoting saintsilva1975
    View Post
    I live in Washington state and got into an accident 2 1/2 years ago. I wasnt insured and the police were not involved. It was the other guys fault but I had no insurance company to fight for me. So his insurance company paid his claim. Then sued me for the money. I was never given a court date but the judge granted the insurance company $1400.00 and suspended my license until it is paid. What is the law that supports that and is there anything that would protect me from this happening? Please help, thank you. -Mike
    Mike, perhaps you weren't paying attention -- in order for you to be sued, the insurance company had to "personally" serve you with a notice and complaint. That is, a process server had to hand the papers to you PERSONALLY. I don't believe they can mail it to you or even give it to your wife, for example.

In those papers would have been a schedule telling you when you had to respond. When you failed to respond, the insurance company would have sought a default judgment against you, which, apparently, the judge granted.

If all that happened years ago, you've probably lost any chance to appeal or reopen the case, unless you can prove that you were NEVER served originally. That will mean finding the court files and showing that there is no "proof of service" in the file.

Or, as Stephenk said, pay the judgment, get a satisfaction of judgment from the insurance company, and go get your license. With license in hand, then go apply for insurance (but don't drive until you have it).

Good luck,
    Barry

Thank you both for responding. I will look into gaining access to the case files. I was never served and had no idea that I was being sued. The insurance company contacted me only once by mail to ask me to pay a claim and I responded with exact details on the accident that showed that their client was indeed responsible. But never was I notified of them proceeding to sue or a date of court. once again thank you!

1. Sponsored Links