Default When to Hire Another Lawyer

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

Justify a change of lawyer?

My lawyer believes that since certain extracurricular activities fall during custodial parents residential time that the non-custodial parent has no right of showing up during practices. Should this be a "red-flag" to hire another lawyer moving forward?

This is T-Ball practice for a 5-year old.

Thanks.

Default Re: Justify Hiring Another Lawyer

Quote Quoting timeinbetween
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

Justify a change of lawyer?

My lawyer believes that since certain extracurricular activities fall during custodial parents residential time that the non-custodial parent has no right of showing up during practices. Should this be a "red-flag" to hire another lawyer moving forward?

Thanks.
    What does your court order say regarding this?

In plan view, this time is the custodial parents time therefore the non-custodial parent does not have the right to interfer with the custiodal parents time.

Which is different from being present and watching.

Not sure if I follow. Basically, the step dad's company is sponsoring the t-ball league, and he wants this one day to just be him and my son. He wants this time to bond, and with me watching or present he feels that he cannot bond with my son. I'd just like to be present and show support for my son.

So, is it a legal issue if I'm not participating, but simply present during these practices. Maybe this isn't even possible with all the tension this would create?

This sounds very familiar.

You wrote:
    "Basically, the step dad's company is sponsoring the t-ball league, and he wants this one day to just be him and my son."
    So if I am reading this correctly, you are co-parenting with the step-dad? Is that in your papers? I'm confused or maybe I am just reading it wrong.

I would say that if you already have an uneasy red-flag feeling, get a different attorney ASAP. Unless your papers say differently, you have every right to be at any/all events and activities (including T ball for a 5 year old) that your son is signed up for regardless of which parenting day it is.

You were asked what the order says. That was an invitation for you to tell us what the order says.

OK. Typical:

3.13.11 Neither party shall commit the child’s time to the extent that it interferes with the other parent’s residential time with out prior approval.* Each parent gets to decide whether the child will participate in social, school or extracurricular activities during their residential time.* Both parties will* keep the other party informed to the best of their ability of the child’s opportunities for social, school and extracurricular events that may occur on the other parent’s time (ie birthday parties that fall on one parent’s time, but the invitation is sent to the other parent).

Extracurricular activities joint
    That's it. The games are always on the weekends, and I've always made sure they have an open invitation without question.

Not co-parenting with the step-parent, but he has much more interest to bond with the child during this times as the step-dad, and is using the parenting plan creating by the Mom and I as leverage to do this.

So there's nothing barring you from being present. Turn up if you want - but know that it's going to cause some ruckus once kiddo gets home.

This honestly boils down to parenting, as was mentioned before. Would it kill you to NOT turn up to practice? Would it kill stepDad if you did?

You've said on another thread (perhaps here, too) that you DO attend the actual games.

OK Dog, so that goes back to my original question, "Justify Hiring Another Lawyer?"

I was feeling comfortable with this lawyer, but now don't think he knows exactly what he's talking about. If issues like this come up, I'd like him to offer me feedback similar to what I'm now receiving.

To answer your question, it wouldn't kill me not to show up, but it would create many problems from them if I did. Moving forward, I'd like to participate or be present for future practices. They think that me showing up would negate his bonding time with my son. Apparently he works many hours and rarely has anytime to spend with the kiddos. Although "bonding time" is so vague. There is absolutely no reason for me to feel offended since he also makes them dinner and helps get them ready for bed, what's baseball practice anyway.

The mother believes that it is their right to bare me from showing up since it's her residential time. The lawyer that was consulted by me also believes this to be true. I'm now being told otherwise, which makes me very suspicious of this lawyers credentials.

1. Sponsored Links