Default Can an Out-of-Status F1 Visa Holder Marry a U.S. Citizen

I am an F1 student and I'm currently on F1 status for OPT. I'll be out of status in two months. I was planning to marry my bf who is an US citizen,if I had to leave the country but it got postponed to another year or so since he got cold feet. I don't want to have a long distance relationship and I was wondering what would happen if I overstay? Could I get married to him eventually and not have to leave the country for a period of time? Would the government allow it since i overstayed illegally?

Default Re: I Am an F1 Who is Out of Status.can I Get Married to an U.S. Citizen with No Prob

If you marry without being subject to deportation action, you would likely be fine. However, why would you want to start your life in the US by doing something you know to be illegal? It speaks poorly of your character. If your BF were my child, I'd advise him to run from this relationship because someone who would knowingly violate US immigration laws for her own selfish benefit is not likely to behave honorably in other matters. It sounds like your BF is not as interested in you as you are in a green card via marriage otherwise you would not have posted.

The legal (and honorable) thing to do is to find an H1B job sponsor. H1B is a dual intent visa. Approach your OPT employer to see if this is a possibility.

Default Re: I Am an F1 Who is Out of Status.can I Get Married to an U.S. Citizen with No Prob

You seem to have failed to understand me. I do not want to stay here to obtain a green card, I wish to stay because I don't want to deal with a long distance relationship. I am actually trying my best to obtain an H1 B but I was wondering what if I fail. I want to get married to this guy eventually and I guess I am afraid that distance might break us up if I leave. That's all there is to it and no my sole purpose is not to get married to him to get a green card its actually to be with this guy because i'm pretty much half way across the world. Thanks for your advice but please don't judge me based on my question. It probably is a bad idea but it was only an inquiry due to my current predicament

Quote Quoting sara77
    View Post
    I don't want to have a long distance relationship and I was wondering what would happen if I overstay?
    You'll become ineligible for VWP (if you are from a participating nation), depending upon how your I-94 is marked you may accrue unlawful presence triggering a period of ineligibility to reenter, you'll be subject to removal proceedings, and you'll complicate future entries.
    Quote Quoting sara77
    Could I get married to him eventually and not have to leave the country for a period of time?
    If you're talking about adjustment of status based on marriage, that depends upon what happens between now and then. If you're talking about gaining some other form of lawful status while unlawfully in the U.S., without having to leave the U.S., don't count on it.
    Quote Quoting sara77
    Would the government allow it since i overstayed illegally?
    Read some of the scores of threads in this forum about adjustment of status after overstay.
    Quote Quoting sara77
    View Post
    You seem to have failed to understand me. I do not want to stay here to obtain a green card, I wish to stay because I don't want to deal with a long distance relationship. I am actually trying my best to obtain an H1 B but I was wondering what if I fail.
    If you overstay, you will complicate your eligibility for and reentry upon a H1B visa. If you want to go that route instead of adjustment of status based on marriage, you had best toe the line.

1. Sponsored Links