Default Repayment of Training Costs Upon Resignation

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: South Dakota

I recently took a job in South Dakota that leaves me 2000 miles away from my family in CA. I am having problems with my family right now that could possibly destroy my family, so I need to get back home and take care of things. When I was hired at the company, I was required to sign a training contract. In my profession, there are certian things that have to be done in order for me to do my job per the regulations we are governed under. I am a pilot, and each airplane requires specific training to be able to operate it. The contract is for $8500. Are training contracts like this legally enforceable in SD? I know they aren't in California, but I know nothing about the state of South Dakota, where the company is based. If you know what I can do, I would really appreciate it if you could either post some links up for me to look at. I am also planning on contacting an employment attourney in SD to see what I can do about this. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Repayment of Training Costs Upon Resignation

You definitely need to consult with South Dakota employment law counsel. If your employment contract requires repayment of training expenses if you resign within months of your start date, such a contract provision appears reasonable and your contract may very well be enforceable, IMHO.

Again, though, local counsel can advise you whether any exceptions specific to South Dakota exist which may help you here.

1. Sponsored Links