Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is the Captain of a Private Yacht a Jones Act Seaman

Thank you Gentlemen.

The vessel is 78 Gross tons, 62 Net tons. I will seek Maritime help.

There actually is no act of 1927. There were Merchant Marine Acts of 1916, 1920, 1928, 1936, 1970.. There were Merchant shipping acts of 1940 and 47, etc... There were amendments to the various acts that didn't even get elaborate act name. Pulling out some archaic act without looking at the actual LAW is largely meaningless. Note in your cites Bullwinkle that you posted from the section on intercostal waters. I've already posted back in an early post on this thread, that there are separate ship size minimums depending on intercostal or coastal (interior) service, and for fishing vessels (and we're talking commercial fishing vessels here not some guy sport fishing off his yacht). Some of the larger yachts can easily top out 50 or even 75 tons.

Further, he is not in the Merchant Marine service as I already pointed out, so it's doubtful any law enacted by any of these acts applies.

Boo-Boo Bear, I get that you couldn't figure out what he was talking about. Don't be offended that others of us could.

Quote Quoting legendtommy
    View Post
    Thank you Gentlemen.

The vessel is 78 Gross tons, 62 Net tons. I will seek Maritime help.
    Yep, now we have that out of the way, neither of the sections that Bullwinkle and I had initially replied with apply either. Both sections have a section on wages being paid, but they specifically EXEMPT yachts. Sorry for the red herring. I suspect you're going to have to deal with normal land lubber law on this.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    There actually is no act of 1927. There were Merchant Marine Acts of 1916, 1920, 1928, 1936, 1970.. There were Merchant shipping acts of 1940 and 47, etc... There were amendments to the various acts that didn't even get elaborate act name. Pulling out some archaic act without looking at the actual LAW is largely meaningless. Note in your cites Bullwinkle that you posted from the section on intercostal waters. I've already posted back in an early post on this thread, that there are separate ship size minimums depending on intercostal or coastal (interior) service, and for fishing vessels (and we're talking commercial fishing vessels here not some guy sport fishing off his yacht). Some of the larger yachts can easily top out 50 or even 75 tons.

Further, he is not in the Merchant Marine service as I already pointed out, so it's doubtful any law enacted by any of these acts applies.
    who brought up 1927? It wasn't me. This is what I posted:

Jones Act is section 27 of the Merchant Marine act of 1920
    MM act of 1920. SECTION 27.

You'll have to forgive Boo-Boo. He's apparently in one of those moods in which it's more important for others to be wrong than it is for him to be right.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2