Default Billed for Taxes From 11 Years Ago

I left the state of California in April, 2001. This past January (2012) I received a tax bill from California stating I owed them $600 for tax year 2000. A month later my bank has sent me notice that they are to debit my account for the full amount. I called the CFTB several times only to get the message "... experiencing high volume of calls" and to call them at a later time. They are obviously overwhelmed with calls so it is impossible for me to contact them to discuss my case. In all honesty, I don't remember if I even filed a (state) tax return for 2000 - that is a long long time ago and whatever records I had are likely dust by now. Do I have any recourse on this at all or can a state entity just rob you at will??

Default Re: 11 Years

if you owe the money they are not robbing you at will. If you can prove they are robbing you you have every right to contest their actions. If you have no proof they are not correct, how do you know they aren't?

Why is it so many people blame the government for doing something wrong when the people like you do not actually know if what they are doing is wrong or not?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    if you owe the money they are not robbing you at will. If you can prove they are robbing you you have every right to contest their actions. If you have no proof they are not correct, how do you know they aren't?

Why is it so many people blame the government for doing something wrong when the people like you do not actually know if what they are doing is wrong or not?
    Well, that's pretty much the most useless statement I could expect. If I owe the state of California what they say, should I not at least have the opportunity to request how they came to such a figure? To contact them personally has so far proved impossible due to their "high call volume", which is no wonder when they invade people's bank account at will. You ask who am I to say their wrong - who are you to say they are right? With the CFTB (and apparently also with you) one is guilty until proven innocent. Always thought it was supposed to work the other way....

What I said is if you can prove them wrong, then contest the action. I did not say they are right or wrong. You are the one that stated you do not even remember if you filed taxes for that year.

and innocent until proven guilty is in a criminal court. This has nothing to do with such an action.

bottom line: you are upset about a situation you have no reason to believe is incorrect yet you want to whine. Keep trying to call them.

1. Sponsored Links