Default Road and Utility Easement - Can Friends Use to Access My Property

I have a road and utility easement that runs along the side of my lot (main driveway) and up past the back corner of my lot into the neighbors driveway to their house. I do not proceed past the corner of my lot on the easement, but legally I feel I could.

About half way up the easement paved road forks 90 degrees into my garage. Just past the fork to my garage the previous owner installed a combo gate. The previous owner had no problem with either myself, friends or sewer service vehicles accessing through the gate. The only way to park in the rear of my property is to access through the gate. It is also the only way to pump my septic or get a well service vehicle to the well.

The new neighbor has verbally told us only myself and my wife can access through the gate.

I think the basic question here is, "Does the road and utility easement transfer to my friends accessing through the gate and into the back of my property?"

On the surface I feel it should as it's the only road to my house, my friends use it to access to the front of my house and the only way for my friends to park behind my house is to continue through the gate (on the easement road) to the back of my property.

Thanks for your input.

Default Re: Road and Utility Easement - Can Friends Use to Access My Property

Who's property is the gate on?

The neighbors property has the gate on it. My entire driveway and access to my house is over the easement and driveway.

The easement is roughly 200' long, the previous neighbors put a random gate 50' up the easement, which blocks access to the back of my property. The previous neighbors let us and our friends through the gate to access the back yard. Now the new neighbors want to stop all but my wife and I from accessing and parking in the back yard.

Property is in CA if it matters.

Thanks for helping out.

(By the way, I don't have the answer for you.)
    How close is this picture as far as the layout of your properties?

What is the exact granting language of the ROW/Easement documentation?

1. Sponsored Links