Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Are Past Tax Returns Relevant to a Personal Injury Claim

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: NC

Spoke to my lawyers paralegal on Friday cuz she needed to fill out this questionaire the adjuster sent over. They needed my work history from the last 10 yrs and all of my education, which is fair imo (not the work history though).

I was starting to ponder why they would ask for my work history, but I get so anxious when I talk to them about my case....anyway, then she goes on to say that they need copies of my tax-returns and w-2's from 07, 08, 09....wth!!!!

I already provided w-2's for the time at which the accident occurred(12/10) and my wages have been verified. Why do they want my tax info from all those years prior to the accident??? How is that relevant???

I'm not gonna provide it cuz I feel that's too much info, just pay me my money!!!!

....but I'd like to know what's the deal..has this happened to anyone else before???

Default Re: Y is Tax Info(Prior to Accident) Needed for My Case

They are likely looking to see what you are worth, so to speak, in order to decide what kind of settlement (if any) to offer you.

Default Re: Why Are Past Tax Returns Relevant to a Personal Injury Claim

If you're making a claim for lost wages or lost earning capacity, the issue of what you previously earned becomes relevant.

Have a secrecy agreement written for your tax documents or a protective order if litigation has commenced.

@freeman they already offered me 12k and my bills were 60k+....my lawyer says they're not taking into account the physical therapy costs, which were significant....the medical bills from the er were only like 9k I believe....regardless I personally won't settle for anything less than 30 take home. I've done extensive research on the value of my case. We've got a docket # and since we've filed suit they called again with the same offer. I don't get it. There's no disputing my therapy was related to my accident, but my lawyer is saying they're trying to make an argument of a pre-existing injury as the reason for the therapy, which is 100% false and my doctor is willing to testify to that.

So is this something I need to provide if you know???? I'm comfortable already so I can wait them out and i honestly don't see the need to settle at all, its like I'm short changing myself.

@Aaron I think you didn't read my initial post friend....that's already been provided long ago.

Quote Quoting shawa
    View Post
    I'm comfortable already so I can wait them out and i honestly don't see the need to settle at all, its like I'm short changing myself.
    Cool, then tell your lawyer that your not going to show them the W2's from 07, 08 and 09 and that you want to walk up the courtroom steps for trial. Then you can see what the other insurance company has up their sleeve.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting shawa
    View Post
    @Aaron I think you didn't read my initial post friend....that's already been provided long ago.
    I think you don't understand what aaron was telling you. Nope, make that I know you don't understand. You may not want them to verify your claims from your tax records, but they're entitled.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Cool, then tell your lawyer that your not going to show them the W2's from 07, 08 and 09 and that you want to walk up the courtroom steps for trial. Then you can see what the other insurance company has up their sleeve.
    The insurance company would hit them with a motion to compel long before the trial date.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I think you don't understand what aaron was telling you. Nope, make that I know you don't understand. You may not want them to verify your claims from your tax records, but they're entitled.
    What??? Huh??? Who said anything about making a claim from my tax records FOR ANYTIME PRIOR THAN THE WAGES I LOST DUE TO THE NEGLIGENT PARTY ??? I nor my lawyer made such a claim as you reference. Please, pay attention to the details. Why wouldn't I went them to verify everything that their client is at fault for??? Like i said early, I'm comfortable and i don't want to nor do I care to con anything from anyone.

How is the money i made 1-10 years PRIOR to the accident relevant to an adjuster???

You've made a strong case that you're an ass and cannot understand simple explanations. You have a lawyer, so go ask your lawyer.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You've made a strong case that you're an ass and cannot understand simple explanations. You have a lawyer, so go ask your lawyer.
    Of course I'm going to ask my lawyer specifically. I feel its important to understand what you're talking about before you speak on any topic i.e. do some research, ask some questions. Not trying to be rude friend, but you set the tone when i already addressed your insult in my first post...." I already provided w-2's for the time at which the accident occurred(12/10) and my wages have been verified." This was a year ago sir.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast