Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Question Sister in Law Passed, Father Seemingly Unfit, Want Guardianship of Three Daughters

    My question involves guardianship in the State of: Missouri

    I am going to try and make this as clear as possible....

    Coming on almost two weeks, my sister in-law passed. My husband and I just returned from the funeral to find out that the children have now are all been placed somewhere else by Family Services. One is with their fathers mother (L1) and two are with foster care (L2,L3). (L1 has a different dad then L2, L3).(Ages L1 is 6 yrs old, L2 is 1 yr old, and L3 is 1 month old). Family services said this is only until Monday and they will all have to go back to court to figure things out.

    L1 and L3 were with my in-laws, and L2 was with her other grandpa (the father's dad). The children were taken because after a drug test, both grandpas were positive for alcohol. The father of L1 wants custody and the father of L2 and L3 only wants custody of L2.

    My husband and I have discussed it, and we are willing to take custody of all 3 just so the girls can all live together. We both are currently Active Duty military members and (he has 2 yrs till he retires) and I have 9 yrs till I retire if I stay in or 7 months if I choose to get out. We have 3 children ourselves, 14, 11, and 6. We are currently stationed in Oklahoma.

    My question is if we fought for non-custodial parental rights, what kind of process are we looking at? Or is that even a good route to take. Tomorrow I will go to legal services, but I really wanted to post here to see what kind of answers or knowledge I could get.

    Thank you in advance for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Sister in Law Passed, Father Seemingly Unfit, Want Guardianship of Three Daughter

    With you both being active duty, that's really not going to make it easy for the state to put the kids into your care.

    Not saying it's impossible, but it's a definite point against you. Living in a different state doesn't help you, either. You also need to be speaking with Family Services since they're involved.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

    Do not microwave grapes

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Sister Planning to Move With Child, but I Think She is an Unfit Mother
    By ada in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 07:22 PM
  2. Guardianship Petitions: Obtaining Guardianship of Non-Blood Children when Mother Has Died, Father is Unfit
    By Melinda k in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
  3. Sister Passed Away, What Happens to Niece
    By Delliz in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
  4. Guardianship: How to Get Unfit Mother to Give Guardianship of Children to Me and Moved Out Legally
    By Zaharia in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM
  5. Not my daughters Father
    By Legacy in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 05:57 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.