Exclamation What Are My Legal Options Regarding Leaving My House

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Louisiana.

I am looking to move out of my house. I would like to first try and avoid any legal mess, but if I must go through that then I will. I have recently made 16 years old and will be moving to boarding school in August that will provide food and shelter and education. I need a place to live between now and then because my current home is not suitable for me. I have called BoysTown National Hotline and attempted to contact my friend's mother who is a child psychologist (although she probably won't see my message for a good bit). I would like to move in with a financially stable friend's family, with parental permission. What would I need to do that, and would it put my mother into any legal trouble? If that is not an option, I would like to put myself up for foster services. Can anyone provide me with more information? I have read all about emancipation; do I have to emancipate before I can live with another family? I do not have any reliable relatives to live with and my father is in hospice.

Also, just to get this out of the way, I understand that my mother provides me with financial services (to the best of her ability anyway). However, although it is not ideal, food shelters/hospitals/homeless shelters/Salvation Army/and other charities can also provide most needs'. Even pedophiles and child predators can provide these things, and possibly more. However, the difference between a parent and all those things is love and emotional support (and the fact that most charities cannot abuse you). I feel that if a parent doesn't provide this for their child, it should be as bad as neglect and physical abuse. I don't think I am a rebellious teenager, although I'm sure you've all heard that before. I simply feel like my home life is not one for raising children at all and have multiple examples of why. However, despite the hostility between my mother and I, I would hate for her to have to go to jail. So I think the best solution for us is for me to leave, something that she has also expressed.

Default Re: What Are My Legal Options Regarding Leaving My House

If you have parental permission to leave, you may. If you do not have parental permission to leave, you may not.

It really is that simple.

What will happen if I get parental permission? As in, will the new people have to provide for my needs or will my mother? If she rejects letting me live with someone else, what can I do to leave the home (it is abusive physically to my brother but verbally to me)?

Who provides for your needs if you move out is between "the new people" and your mother. It's not determined by law.

If she refuses to allow you to move out, then you cannot move out unless you are removed from the home by the state. Once again, it really is that simple. Until you are 18 you live where your parents say you live. The ONLY exception, since it's quite unlikely from your questions that you qualify for emancipation, would be if your parents are found by the state to be unfit.

You're right, I would not come close to applying for emancipation..although, would attending a boarding school count as having all of my needs met?

I will see about asking my mother to let me live with our family friend (I think she will say yes once she knows she doesn't have to jump through any legal hoops), but if not then I will probably contact child services, although I should probably do that anyway for my brother's sake.

Thank you for your assistance!

EDIT: Sorry if this is somewhat of a repeat of the last question, but would the new parents become my new legal parents? I think they wouldn't because that would make it into an adoption..

No, the new people might become your legal guardians but short of an adoption, which is about as unlikely as emancipation, your parents will still be your parents.

And no, going to boarding school would not count as self-support (which is what I think you meant to ask) unless you personally, with no assistance, are paying 100% of your tuition, room and board.

Yeah I meant legal guardians, sorry. I just wanted to know if there would be any changing of mail, forms, etc etc. Alright then, thank you for answering all of my questions!

Wow, "I don't like what my mother is able to give me, so I want someone with more money", is not a viable reason to enter foster care.

1. Sponsored Links