Default Can I Get Emancipated if I'm Pregnant and I Don't Like How My Parents Treat Me

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Arkansas
    Okay im 16 and 7 and a half months pregnant but my parents don't like my baby daddy. They constantly talk crap and degrade him right in front of me for no reason. I am depressed and my parents constantly yelling at me and cussing me all the time is hurting me and my baby. I want to get emancipated and find an apartment for me and my boyfriend and my daughter but would it be possible? I have a job and money saved up.

Default Re: Can I Get Emancipated if Im Pregnant and I Don't Like How My Parents Treat Me,

No, it would not be possible. When you got pregnant you kissed what slim chance you ever had of emancipation goodbye since it's clear that you need more adult supervision, not less. The chances that any job you can get will pay everything you need and everything your baby needs are non-existent (your boyfriend's income, if any, would NOT count towards YOUR emancipation petition). And you're off in dreamland somewhere if you think that any judge, anywhere, is going to emancipate a pregnant teenager so that she can live with the guy who impregnated her.

Default Re: Can I Get Emancipated if Im Pregnant and I Don't Like How My Parents Treat Me,

Actually, as soon as you become a pregnant minor, you are officially emancipated, it's the same if you get married and your underage. Emancipation was built for the people that got pregnant, married or joined military. So yes, you are officially emancipated cause you are pregnant.

Quote Quoting Jonasx777
    View Post
    Actually, as soon as you become a pregnant minor, you are officially emancipated, it's the same if you get married and your underage. Emancipation was built for the people that got pregnant, married or joined military. So yes, you are officially emancipated cause you are pregnant.

This is absolutely incorrect.

She is MEDICALLY emancipated. This is NOT the same as legal emancipation.

Please do NOT post incorrect information.

In NO state does pregnancy create automatic legal emancipation. Medical emancipation, yes. Legal emancipation, not only no but hell no.

If Jonas disagrees, I invite him to post a link to the law supporting his position.

I googled for Arkansas's emancipation laws: 2010 Arkansas Code Title 9 - Family Law Subtitle 3 - Minors Chapter 27 - Juvenile Courts And Proceedings Subchapter 3 - Arkansas Juvenile Code 9-27-362 - Emancipation of juveniles.

The requirements for emancipation in the state of Arkansas are:

(A) The juvenile is at least seventeen (17) years of age;
    (B) The juvenile is willing to live separate and apart from his or her parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian;
    (C) The juvenile has an appropriate place to live;
    (D) The juvenile has been managing or has the ability to manage his or her own financial affairs;
    (E) The juvenile has a legal source of income, such as employment or a trust fund;
    (F) The juvenile has health care coverage or a realistic plan on how to meet his or her health needs;
    (G) The juvenile agrees to comply with the compulsory school attendance laws; and
    (H) Emancipation is in the best interest of the juvenile.

(Source: http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas...er-3/9-27-362/)

@ kassilynn81: I don't think you fulfill all the requirements for emancipation in your state. You are not yet 17 and you have not found a place of your own yet. Also, note that "best interests of the junvenile" varies from judge to judge. Please consult a family law attorney if you need real legal advice.

Read the stickied threads.

The statute you reference applies to a petition filed "by any party to a dependency-neglect, dependency, family in need of services, or delinquency case." The situation we're addressing is "none of the above".

1. Sponsored Links